Arthritis

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never dealt with arthritis in cats, but I am now with my Amber, who I noticed wasn't jumping on the bed after her dental a month ago. An x-ray confirmed arthritis, and I've been giving her a supplement in her food, which is actually helping. The vet told me I could get an injection for her or give her Meloxidyl. She is in the early stages of kidney failure.
I would love to hear some feedback.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no idea what 'injection' they are talking about - unless it is some kind of steroid or anti-inflammatory which some vets will do to treat arthritis. But, for what I do know - Meloxidyl is not intended for cats at all - mainly due to kidney/renal failure associated with its use in cats. Are you sure the vet recommended that?? If the supplement is helping Amber, why is the vet suggesting something else at this point? What supplement are you giving her?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would suggest getting some of the pet steps to assist her in getting up to her favorite places. I have two, now, and will get a third for Hek's birthday in April. She's doing well on prednisone transdermal (found her on the kitchen counter when I got up!), but I want her to have back up for bad days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of the comments. Amber was given Meloxidyl a year and a half ago right before she had a dental. She really needed something as she had a resorptive lesion, and that's what the vet recommended. It worked well, but I understand the dangers and the vet mentioned that as well. She said she could get Adequan injections, but I've held off on that too because of the side effects. The Dasuquin supplement has worked well for her.
That's wonderful about the steps for Hek and how she jumped on the kitchen counters!
Doesn't everything have side effects? I constantly worry about this as I'm experiencing different problems with the animals in my house, and I always try to do research on the meds before I give them.
As always, thank you for the feedback.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Amber was given Meloxidyl a year and a half ago right before she had a dental. She really needed something as she had a resorptive lesion, and that's what the vet recommended. It worked well, but I understand the dangers and the vet mentioned that as well. She said she could get Adequan injections, but I've held off on that too because of the side effects. The Dasuquin supplement has worked well for her...Doesn't everything have side effects?
Stick with the Dasuquin for as long as you can. It very well might be all that is needed, ever. Yes, many meds have side effects, but it would seem things like Dasuquin are much less prone to them overall.

The pet steps as mentioned above are also a big benefit when needed. I have them for Feeby and she uses them religiously.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will get some steps for her, and in the meantime, I don't mind putting her on and off the bed. For the most part, she doesn't want to get on couches and is content to stay in different beds, but at night, she likes to cuddle with me.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will get some steps for her, and in the meantime, I don't mind putting her on and off the bed. For the most part, she doesn't want to get on couches and is content to stay in different beds, but at night, she likes to cuddle with me.

You don't need to buy pet stairs. A couple of sturdy boxes in varying heights will work just as well. Not pretty to look at but cheap and functional. I have "stairs" for the cats to use to get onto the bed. Picture at Cat Doesn't Like Climbing Or Cat Trees I l also have another box on the side of the sofa.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will get some steps for her,
You don't need to buy pet stairs. A couple of sturdy boxes in varying heights will work just as well. Not pretty to look at but cheap and functional.
Precisely as LTS3 LTS3 said! I have not purchased any actual 'cat stairs'. I have some sturdy boxes, and some basic footstools. The stairs are a little small for what Feeby likes to use as steps. She not only uses the footstools to transport herself from the ground to a couch, bed, etc., she also sleeps on them too!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hek is a 12-pound furry soccer ball, and boxes don't hold up well. If your cat can use them, WONDERFUL! Also, when cats get old, a heated bed is often appreciated, as well. Hek lives in hers on wet, rainy days.