arthritis sure isn't any fun, is it?

obera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Cat Friends,

I'm new, and here because of my 12 year old chocolate point siamese, Sassy.  AKA, the kitty love of my life.  I've read through old threads on arthritis and have found them to be very helpful. 

She's been diagnosed as arthritic for about 2 years now.  She's been taking GlycoFlex2 since then - adding in Cerenia about a year ago.  This summer she was diagnosed with IBD which has added Prednisalone and Metronidazole to the mix.  Both of which, I've been told, can be helpful for arthritis as well.

In the last couple of weeks she's had a significant change in her health - her hips and knees are causing her much more discomfort.  I've added in Adequan, Gabapentin and acupuncture.  I've done all of the other things the interwebs and vets suggest - ramps, warm snuggle spots, easy access water, food and boxes.  She also takes pumpkin and miralax - because it seems that IBD kitties can also be very constipated, not just very gross poopy.  She's on a diet to lose weight and eating food for IBD.

So, we see two different vets - one for medical care and one for acupuncture.  Our beloved long term vet recently retired so neither of these vets know us particularly well, and I'm feeling quite lost. 

I feel that she is now on a good regimen of meds, and has a living situation that is optimized for her comfort.  I always keep in the back of my mind her quality of life.  She's so zonked out on pain meds now, and I hate it.  I've been playing with the dose recently to find the best one, and she needs a higher dose.  She's not doing much besides snoozing in her favorite warm place, eating and using the box.  She is able to get where she wants to go, though more slowly and with a sometimes limp from her back legs.  When she tries to pull herself up from laying down, she has to 'try' a couple of times before she can actually do it.  It's heartbreaking.

Because her arthritis is in her hips, she sometimes has a hard time holding herself up in the box while peeing, causing her to get messy.  She's a little trooper and is very forgiving when I give her a bath - but it's happening multiple times per week now.  Sometimes it improves, sometimes it relapses.  I'm a neat freak and not inclined to have her track this around the house, so I check her every time she leaves the box.  You can imagine how much fun that is for both of us.

My questions are this:

Do you have any experience with an arthritic kitty who can't hold herself up in the box and makes a mess of herself?  Have you been able to do anything to improve this?  To me this is the biggest indicator of how she feels.  She's a very clean cat, and a very good box user.  She does not want to be messy like this.

What does your arthritic kitty do that makes you think she's not feeling well?  I ask this because I recently read that something she does that I think is kindof sweet is actually her being uncomfortable and compensating for that discomfort.

Have you had an arthritic kitty that you decided no longer had a good quality of life?  What were the biggest indicators for you?

Thanks you guys.  :)

Mrow from Sassy.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give Dude Ascenta feline omega 3 and found it helps him a lot.  It is awful to see them in pain, I hope you find something that helps. All the best 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you heard of laser therapy for arthritic cats?  I guess it's the latest thing.  Pricey, but could be worth it.  Here's a thread about it:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/289557/laser-therapy-for-arthritic-cats

I'm kind of surprised that she's taking both Adequan AND gabapentin.  I don't have any cats on pain meds, but it just seems odd that Sassy would be on more than one.  That's probably why she is so zonked out.  Having taken gabapentin myself, I can see why she would be this way.  You know another name for that drug is "moronton" because it makes you a "moron".  Well, it did ME anyway

So she doesn't have any trouble getting INTO the litterbox, just standing up?  Poor girl
.  Check into the laser therapy and see what you think.

Sassy is gorgeous, BTW. 

damac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
here is a picture of our punk who is 16!  he had a rough time lately about a year ago after mass barfing and diahrea and a month with a bad vet we found out he had mast cell tumor and they took out his spleen.  he felt better the day of surgery and has been doing great since.  

he also was found to have arthritis in the rear legs, one worse than the other that did act up.  we took him back to see if there were specific injuries which they said there were not and then simply had us keep him crated up for a bit in a room and then added Nutramax Cosequin  and Nordic Naturals Omega-3.  he was already on proviable dc and Vet's Best Hairball Relief Digestive Aid since before surgery last year.

so i don't know if this is a fluke or if it really helped but he has been doing his thing ok since a couple weeks after that incident.   i haven't even found him nursing the one side and he frequently jumps on the couch and up onto the computer desk when im using it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

obera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responses you guys.  It's been such a stressful process.  And it's so weird that she can jump up and climb up anything, but not get down or squat down comfortably.  She completely ignored the easily accessible box I made her out of a rubbermaid container - it had skylights and everything! 

I keep hearing about laser therapy -  I'm going to look into that!

Damac:  Your meezer is gorgeous.  :)

Mrow!

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sad to hear a new litter box didn't offer relief  :(  sending good thoughts and well wishes,  hope a solution is found through meds or other... so Sassy can return to the box again.  Lots of support found here....  She's Gorgeous!  

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thanks for the responses you guys.  It's been such a stressful process.  And it's so weird that she can jump up and climb up anything, but not get down or squat down comfortably.  She completely ignored the easily accessible box I made her out of a rubbermaid container - it had skylights and everything! 

I keep hearing about laser therapy -  I'm going to look into that!

Damac:  Your meezer is gorgeous.  :)

Mrow!
Many cats simply don't like enclosed litter boxes, if that helps.  What if you take the lid off....does that help?  Also, jumping DOWN causes a sudden jolt to the joints.  Jumping up doesn't seem to do that so much.  My elderly girl can easily still jump up on the kitchen counter, but I watch her as she jumps down...she tries to sort of walk down the sides of the cabinets before finally jumping, to help ease the final jolt to her joints, I suspect.

obera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Many cats simply don't like enclosed litter boxes, if that helps.  What if you take the lid off....does that help?  Also, jumping DOWN causes a sudden jolt to the joints.  Jumping up doesn't seem to do that so much.  My elderly girl can easily still jump up on the kitchen counter, but I watch her as she jumps down...she tries to sort of walk down the sides of the cabinets before finally jumping, to help ease the final jolt to her joints, I suspect.
Yep - that's how Sassy is.  She can jump up, but I try my best to help her down before she makes a hard landing.  I've tried taking the lid off of her box - she's such a digger though, that it sends stuff everywhere.  It's almost comical how much digging this cat does! 

obera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's hard to believe it's been more than a month since I was first here.  I was so stressed.  I still am, but the 'new normal' has settled in to a workable routine.  We keep trying new things, but she's still having a hard time squatting in the box. 

I've decided that acupuncture isn't her thing - mostly because she literally can't hold herself up at all in the box for a solid 36 hours after the treatment, which is a step back and not the intention of the treatment.

We're doing laser therapy once per week.  So far she has had 4 treatments.  I don't yet have much of an opinion on how it's working, but it's easy on her and I really like the practice we were referred to for the treatment.  I like them so much, in fact, that I have transferred her medical care there, too.  We were looking for a new vet, so this was a nice bonus from the laser referral.

I gave her the 4 weeks of loading doses of adequan injections and when I gave her the next one, after accidentally waiting 5 weeks, she was almost immediately improved.  not perfect, but *significantly* improved.  I've been doing some research and have found that some people give it every 2-3 weeks, which I'm going to ask my vet about when she is back from her holiday time off.  The injections are easy for me and for her, and the cost is not prohibitive.  So, if it will help her to have more success squatting in the box, I'll do it. 

Sassy received a low-rider hammock for Christmas, because I keep reading that a hammock provides relief for achy arthritic joints.  She took to it immediately, something very out of the ordinary for her.  This tells me that it does feel good for her.  It's a delightful little thing, too.  She can literally walk onto and off it it.  And it's sturdy enough to hold this 14 pound gal. 

jdollprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Cali has severe arthritis in her lower spine and I give her adequan injections once a week along with 0.5mg of gabapentin every evening. This regimen seems to really help her and if she has a really bad day I give her a small dose of buprenorphine. The adequan seems to be what helps her the most. I unfortunately didn't have much luck with the laser therapy but I know it helps a lot of animals. My vet was gonna try her on an every other day trial of Onsior but before she started it we did bloodwork and discovered she had CKD so we couldn't risk it further damaging her kidneys. It sucks that there aren't more options for pain relief in cats.

obera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Cali has severe arthritis in her lower spine and I give her adequan injections once a week along with 0.5mg of gabapentin every evening. This regimen seems to really help her and if she has a really bad day I give her a small dose of buprenorphine. The adequan seems to be what helps her the most. I unfortunately didn't have much luck with the laser therapy but I know it helps a lot of animals. My vet was gonna try her on an every other day trial of Onsior but before she started it we did bloodwork and discovered she had CKD so we couldn't risk it further damaging her kidneys. It sucks that there aren't more options for pain relief in cats.
Once a week for the adequan?  I had no idea that could be done.  This is very useful to know, and I'm so glad it helps her.  Thank you!