arthritis pain relief?

mrsbrak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I did search for this info and ran across some threads about Metacam and Trixsyn.

My poor Little Kitty (that's his name) is about 12 yrs old and is dragging one of his legs. The vet said he has arthritis in his lower back and prescribed Metacam, which I have been giving him every other day for the last month. It's hard to tell if he's getting pain relief, and now that I've researched Metcam here, I'm taking him off of it immediately.

I saw a comment that Trixsyn may help over the long haul, but is there anything safe that can help my cat with fast pain relief?

Thanks so much for your advice.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fast and natural often do not go together... ask your vet for a short acting pain killer while something like Trixsyn( which I love as it works very well) takes affect... For my cats the trixsyn took 2-3 weeks for real intense results

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a 12 year old cat at our shelter that has arthritis. His previous owner passed away & the family did not tell us he had been on Dasaquin for years. Well he either had a flare up of his arthritis or hurt himself. He was on Bupronex for a while & then got a shot of Pred. Once the swelling went down & he was in less pain we began getting him monthly injections of Adequin (SP?). It is approved for use in dogs, but giving it to cats is an accepted off lable use. I'm not sure exactly what the differnce is but it is apparently close to Dasaquin. Now that he is getting his monthly injection he is doing awsome, it is rare that he even limps anymore.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard great things aobut adequan, and now that it can be given subcutaneously (under the skin) rather than intramuscular, I will certainly try it on the next cat I have suffering, once the cosequin stops working.

I don't know what Trixsyn is (though will look it up shortly) but cosequin for cats is wonderful for controlling mild to moderate arthritis pain.

My Ootay
turned into a kitten again when I first started her on it when she was slowing down at 13 from arthritis. By the time she was 17 the pain had caught up and surpassed the cosequin though, and my vet and I did discuss adequan, but at that time it was still being given in the muscle and I did not want her to go through that kind of pain.

As for metacam. Never will allow it's use on my cats. No. Way.

Cosequin for cats is a supplement available without prescription but of course talk to your vet about it first.

Keep us posted on Little Kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsbrak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As usual -- sharky, rang, otto -- you guys are fabulous with the advice.

I can't thank you enough.

I went ahead and ordered the Trixsyn today and will discuss the alternate pain relievers with my vet. I'll let y'all know how Little Kitty is doing.

Thanks again so much!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsbrak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, it has been over a year -- my how time flies! I was returning to report that Little Kitty has done pretty well on Trixsyn. He still walks with a limp because he is a pretty old guy at 13, but he's not dragging his leg and is able to jump up into chairs and still use the litter box. I'm pretty sure he is not in nearly as much pain as he was a year ago. One strange thing started happening in the last 2 weeks though... He runs when he goes from room to room. It's almost as if a running gallop feels better to him than a walking gait. He's not being playful. I thought maybe had had fleas or something because I've had cats who would try to "outrun" their fleas, but he's clean. It's very strange. Has anyone with an arthritic cat seen that type of behavior?