Arthritis Of Lumbar Spine; Pain With Arched Back To Defecate; Arthro-ionx

vickync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any suggestions to decrease pain in senior cat with arthritis of lumbar spine when back is arched in litter box to have bowel movements? Litter box has very low sides and the cries of pain occur when she arches her back not when jumping in or out of litter box. She is on twice daily stool softener and pumpkin added to wet food to prevent constipation and need to strain. She is on pain medication and a n-said for cats but still has pain in litter box with back arched. What has worked for others that helps decrease a cat's arthritic pain of the lumbar spine?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vickync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone with experience using Arthro-IonX (safe, natural joint and mobility pain medication for all pets of all ages)? I have a senior cat with a great deal of pain when hunching back to defecate in litter box. She is approx. 12 years old, weighs 9 lbs. and has early kidney disease as well as arthritis of spine, hips and knees. She is on Onsior twice a week and an opiate for pain but she still cries when her spine is bent; no pain when urinating since her back is straight. Anyone familiar with Arthro-IonX for arthritis pain?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mainly bumping this up for you. This is very specific pain...what pain meds is your cat taking? That might be helpful for anyone responding to know.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she on something like Cosequin which helps with arthritis? It's a capsule, but you open it and sprinkle it on wet food. You can give it twice a day. You could also try some Omega-3 oil to help with inflammation.

vickync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mainly bumping this up for you. This is very specific pain...what pain meds is your cat taking? That might be helpful for anyone responding to know.
Thanks! Please put this in the correct place on The Cat Site--she is not a young cat and this is May, 2017.

Nikita is a senior, formerly feral, cat (actual age unknown, approx. 10--13 years of age); developed severe constipation and had one blocked anal gland almost to point of bursting due to pain hunching back to defecate and holding feces--stool softener and medication to increase bowel motility started. X-rays show arthritis of spine, hips and knees (with possible spinal stenosis). In early stage of kidney disease (between stage 1 and stage 2) and renal support wet canned food with teaspoon canned pumpkin added is new diet.
Tried on Cosequin but it evidently caused gastritis, she would refuse any wet food with cosequin mixed in---cosequin was discontinued.
(Her difficulty became noticeable two months ago with her crying in pain at the litter box and small pieces of rock-hard feces or no feces in litter box after straining---immediately taken to her Vet at that point.)
Litter box changed from high-sided to long, low-sided litter box and additional warming pads placed in her beds and carrying kennel where she sleeps.

Current Treatment/pain management:
Has received Simadol 1.8mg/ml sub-cutaneous injection that lasts three days--has had three doses (opiate).
(1) Onsior 6 mg tab. twice a week (M & Th) after initial (3) daily doses (n-said for pets)
Buprenorphine 0.3mg/ml oral solution every 8--24 hours as needed for pain when Simadol not in system (opiate)
Fish oil mixed with one feeding daily (inflammation)
Cisapride 10 mg.suspension/ml---0.25 ml twice a day (to increase bowel motility)
Lactulose by mouth twice daily (stool softener)
Has had one 5-minute cold laser treatment of lumbar spine

Is there a gentle hand-held or vibrator pad or heat wrap that can lessen pain due to arthritis of spine in a cat? I would appreciate any suggestions as to pain relief for Nikita.

Last edited:

vickync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she on something like Cosequin which helps with arthritis? It's a capsule, but you open it and sprinkle it on wet food. You can give it twice a day. You could also try some Omega-3 oil to help with inflammation.
Thanks, she has fish oil mixed with one (wet) feeding per day and she was tried on Cosequin but she stopped eating any food with it mixed into it--probably due to it causing gastritis (I had the same problem when I tried this same type of supplement for my arthritis and had to discontinue taking it.)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Anyone with experience using Arthro-IonX (safe, natural joint and mobility pain medication for all pets of all ages)? I have a senior cat with a great deal of pain when hunching back to defecate in litter box. She is approx. 12 years old, weighs 9 lbs. and has early kidney disease as well as arthritis of spine, hips and knees. She is on Onsior twice a week and an opiate for pain but she still cries when her spine is bent; no pain when urinating since her back is straight. Anyone familiar with Arthro-IonX for arthritis pain?

I'm just putting this post in here as I moved it from another thread and it ended up being buried in other posts. If anyone knows about Arthro-IonX, please help! :)