Arthritis/Joint treatments options-is long term veterinary pain medicine safe?

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! My 15 year old cat has been having some discomfort with his arms-definitely his right more than the left, but both seem to bother him. When he lays down he sometimes shakes out his right arm, almost like it’s fallen asleep (which isn’t the case because it happens before he lays down, not after). He also sometimes lifts it up for a few seconds while sitting down.

He’s totally fine while playing and walking, and doesn’t seem to be in pain when I touch it. I’m assuming it’s joint related because he hasn’t injured it or anything so I’m not sure what else it would be. In November he had his wellness checkup and I asked the vet to check both arms out and she said he didn’t react at all when she was examining him.

He’s on a joint supplement, and I switched recently because I’m wondering if the one he was taking wasn’t working. I started it a week ago so I’m hoping it starts to help.

So I’m wondering if I should take him back to the vet for x-rays or how arthritis is diagnosed. I’ve been doing some research on pain management and it looks like prescription pain medicine is an option and I’m wondering if it’s safe to put him on that long term. I have to take an anti inflammatory long term and my dr is always monitoring my kidneys for any changes, so I’m wondering if there are any similar risks for cats.

If anyone has any other suggestions for pain relief that would be great also. Thank you!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Have you had any x-rays done to look at the joints? That is usually a good indicator of joint destruction. My cat, Feeby - 16+yo - has had x-rays that indicate she has arthritis in some of her joints (as well as fused vertebrae in her back, due to unknown causes). She is currently on Glyco Flex Plus (glucosamine, chondroitin, and green lipped mussels) to help her with the arthritis. She lays down 'funny', and still limps from time to time after she has been immobile for awhile, but seems to have benefitted from the Glyco,

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Have you had any x-rays done to look at the joints? That is usually a good indicator of joint destruction. My cat, Feeby - 16+yo - has had x-rays that indicate she has arthritis in some of her joints (as well as fused vertebrae in her back, due to unknown causes). She is currently on Glyco Flex Plus (glucosamine, chondroitin, and green lipped mussels) to help her with the arthritis. She lays down 'funny', and still limps from time to time after she has been immobile for awhile, but seems to have benefitted from the Glyco,
I haven’t had X-rays yet, mostly because the vet told me they seemed okay and he wasn’t in pain when she examined them. But that’s definitely my next step if the joint supplement doesn’t help in a week or two, I know it can take awhile to help. Unfortunately he‘s allergic to green lipped muscles which stinks because I know a lot of good supplements contain it not to mention a lot of high quality food.

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What joint supplement is he on? My 15 yr old is on 2 different ones and has improved. Also, a heated bed helps.
He has heated pads and beds and blankets basically throughout the whole house. I just switched him to Arthrimaxx, it has glucosamine, MSM, chondroitin and manganese. I like it because it’s specifically for cats and it’s a liquid I just add to his food, and he doesn’t mind the taste which is a miracle because he’s super picky.

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unfortunately he can’t have chews because he had to have almost all of his teeth removed.
The Glyco Flex Plus are also chews, but can easily be smashed up. For Feeby, I simply smash up a chew and then mix it with some baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut - neither have onions/garlic/etc.). She eats it this way every time. If not baby food meats, there are a number of lickable treats that you could mix it with - Applaws, Tiki Cat Stix or Mousse, Wholehearted, Vitakraft, and Inaba Churu are the ones I have used with Feeby to give her meds. She likes them all.