Arthritis Cat; Difficulty administering supplement

shinjachan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

A few may remember me as having posted regarding a recurring limp in my 1 year old cat.  We took him to the vet (ortho), got the x-rays done, and it turns out he has elbow dysplasia and also developed mild arthritis.  His sister hasn't been diagnosed but the vet and I are 99% sure she has the same condition as she's shown symptoms before to a lesser degree.  I've looked up as much as I can about this condition but haven't found any articles talking specifically about cats as it seem to be rarer for them compared to dogs.  If anyone has any resources regarding elbow dysplasia in cats, I would really really  appreciate it.

According to the vet's advice, the only thing we're doing now is long term care with no surgery.  Part of this treatment includes giving glucosamine supplements.  The problem is... I don't know how to administer it.  It's a powdered form in a large capsule.  Even if I put it in his food, he doesn't finish it all so he wouldn't be getting the full dose.  He has no problem eating the pill straight up, but he doesn't eat it all at once so the capsule breaks and the powder gets all over the floor.  

Maybe if I put the powder on his fur he'll lick it off 

Anyway, so besides the supplements, does anyone have any recommendations on how to manage arthritis?  Would massages/physiotherapy be effective?  I also heard that feeding Hills once in a while might help.

I'm also confused as to why my vet didn't recommend surgery, now that I think about it. 

Thank you for your time and input. 

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally don't have any experience with a cat with arthritis at a young age.  But as far as the pill is concerned have you tried a pill pocket?  It's the only way my guys will take meds.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so is "elbow dysplasia" the equivalent to a mild form of luxating patella...but on a front limb instead of a rear?

Are you giving Cosequin as the joint supplement? How much food are you mixing the powder with? If giving a full meal, try just mixing the powder with a teaspoon of food (or with the juice/gravy of the canned.)

My 3 yr old has arthritis. I use laser therapy with him and he also gets chiropractic adjustments (by a certified ANIMAL chiropractor...not a dr for people.) I also keep his weight in check as carrying extra weight is more stressful on the joints.

I haven't started Max on Adequan injections yet, but it is something I will add in the future (my 16 yr old gets injections every 2 wks...it helps him tremendously, but his arthritis is much more severe.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shinjachan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I personally don't have any experience with a cat with arthritis at a young age.  But as far as the pill is concerned have you tried a pill pocket?  It's the only way my guys will take meds.
It's too big for a pill pocket unfortunately.  Plus he eats food in little bits so it would end up making a mess anyway.  
Ok, so is "elbow dysplasia" the equivalent to a mild form of luxating patella...but on a front limb instead of a rear?

Are you giving Cosequin as the joint supplement? How much food are you mixing the powder with? If giving a full meal, try just mixing the powder with a teaspoon of food (or with the juice/gravy of the canned.)

My 3 yr old has arthritis. I use laser therapy with him and he also gets chiropractic adjustments (by a certified ANIMAL chiropractor...not a dr for people.) I also keep his weight in check as carrying extra weight is more stressful on the joints.

I haven't started Max on Adequan injections yet, but it is something I will add in the future (my 16 yr old gets injections every 2 wks...it helps him tremendously, but his arthritis is much more severe.)
I don't  think it has anything to do with a luxating patella?  From what I gathered, the radius and ulna grew and different rates, causing the elbow joint to fuse incorrectly (leading to arthritis much faster).  It's a genetic thing, which is why we know his sister has it even though we haven't taken x-rays of her yet.  

The laser therapy sounds like a great idea.  My cats don't' have it so bad though, so I don't know if it will be necessary at this point in their lives.  I'm just looking for ways to stop the arthritis from getting worse.  Also, he's on Dasuquin. 

Also, they each get 1/4-1/2 of a 3oz can in the morning and 1/3 cup of dry food in the night.  They don't ever finish all of the food I set out for them.... I guess they just have very small appetites.  I think it's a good idea to just set out a small portion of food with the supplement and let him finish that before setting the rest out.  I don't know what to do about the dry food though =/