Arrrghhh! Ignorant people

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

We had a similar case when I worked at a shelter and it was that the person had finally found allergy medications that worked for them, so it is not always that cut and dry
I should have added that she did indicate that she had thought of no plans to deal with the allergies.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Ugh. Yeah, we actually have people pretty regularly ask "if we have anything smaller" when we show kittens, and we let them go at 10-12 weeks at the earliest. Anything smaller?!?! Needless to say, we shoo these people away, too. We'd rather take care of the kittens for an extra couple weeks than have them go home with morons.

Last week, on a completely CRAZY BUSY day, I had people come in, fill out an application and sit down for an interview. They indicated on their application that the woman in the couple was slightly allergic to cats. That's not a deal-breaker for me; lots of people I know with minor allergies are committed to making it work. So, we get father into the application and come to the previous/current companion animals part. It says on the application that they had a 2 year old male DSH that was rehomed. So, we generally speaking won't adopt to people who have rehomed, but it really depends on the circumstances, so I asked them about it, not wanting to make a judgement. The reason they cited for rehoming the cat? The wife's allergies!! Now tell me why I would want to adopt to an allergic person who had rehomed a cat due to allergies?! Ugh. Maybe people sometimes don't realize how dumb they sound.
Oh my gosh! What weirdos!!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please. Never. Have. Pets. (to the woman) They're not a substitute for having a baby, like in a crazy-kidnapping-movie-on-Lifetime sort of way.

Someone came in today looking for dog books (specifically a breed that "doesn't shed") and as I showed the girl to them she was telling her friend that they were putting her dog to sleep so they could get a new one
I threw up a little in my mouth and almost started crying. Of course I couldn't say anything to her... soo hard.

As my grandpa would say... "They're all out today"

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my sister could spend hours telling you about very stupid pet owners... Like one who's dog was vomiting for 2 weeks and it was sudden;y an emergency at 8pm on New Years Eve. Or the dentist who thinks she knows everything about her dog's , that she was telling the vet how to stitich him up. Or the woman who brought her dog in after it had been not moving for over 5 hours then didn't understand who whole "when it's not moving and cold to the tough, it's dead" concept. Or the people who insit on having their 3-4-5- year old child in the room while they put down the beloved family pet. 99% of the time the child is crying like crazy and/or throwing a fit because puppy or kitty isn't coming with them.
Idiots are out there... they are everywhere

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Once on site, she started in about wanting a 3 to 5 week old, that she can bottle feed and have bond with her. Yes, we have kittens that old, but no, you're not getting any of them until they are at least 12 weeks.

No amount of logical explanation could sway her from her goal of having a "baby" bengal to nurse and coddle.
Weird!

I don't blame you for locking up with the alarm. Sounds like the classic type of people that would sneak in and try and steal what they wanted.

My first instinct is that if that's the kind of thing she's interested in, then why doesn't she foster kittens? This way she has an endless supply of babies needing bottles, and once they no longer need them she can give them back to the shelter for adoption. This way she never has to be saddled with a grown cat that has outlived it's "cuteness" in her eyes.

Sheesh! It takes all kinds of people. And some of them are just too dumb to live.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people are just stupid.
I know what ya mean about people not understanding that you don't *have* to give them one. I have had some weird people try to buy tiel babies and then get mad as heck when I told them no.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't seen or heard from them since yesterday. Hopefully they thought about the stupidity of the whole idea during their 3 hour ride home.

In the mean time I emailed every bengal breeder in North Carolina to warn them about this couple. Most of them belong to the same associations that we do and have signed the same code of ethics that we have, so I'm hoping none of them will give in to these people.

Also to answer the question as to why she doesn't just foster or take on some abandoned kits......since we brought this up to her..............

She only wants a bengal and she wants to be the "momma". And get this, she's over 50, with grown kids and empty nest syndrome. C'mon lady, you're an older adult, you're supposed to be able to rationalize and comprehend stuff, especially when it is expalined to you in a logical manner.

I hope she doesn't succeed. Most kittens that don't have any siblings or other cats to relate to as they are developing, end up have major social issues, including biting and scratching.
The bengal will just end up in a shelter once he's not nursing and cute and starts misbehaving.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you mentioned her age. I was beginning to think she was like nephew's ex who wanted a baby sooooooooooooooooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad... (They hadn't even been married a year!!!!) Nephew got her a boston terrier pup and it was her baby.

Until greatniece was born and she wanted nothing to do with the dog. Luckily nephew took good care of it. After the divorce, she gave it up. (Urge to strangle.)

As someone mentioned before, if she wants a baby, she should volunteer with a shelter - or even at a hospital maternity ward. Well, maybe...