Arrrgh!! I can't kick this cold!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou guys.
I have an appointment at 3:00 at the doctors office by my house. I've never used this particular doctor before (the one i've used before is off today) but at the moment i don't really mind too much whom i see so long as they do a good job and figure out how to get me over this cold!

They want a deposit $100 up front when i come in (understandable), they said if the visit costs less than my deposit- i'll get my change back, if it's more they would be happy to possibly work out a payment plan if i talk to the doctor- so if i need to, that's what i will do. I asked if they offer discounts/etc to returning patients and the lady at the desk said no she couldn't do that- but i could ask the doctor- so i'm going to do that. Hopefully he'll be kind about it since i'm paying it all out of pocket. I was able to get total access (it's a prescription assistance plan for people w/o insurance/etc) so i'm going to see if he'll write me a prescription for something on the list that i can get a discount on if he thinks i need it. We'll see! I hope it doesn't cost a fortune!

Geesh i can't WAIT to get married soon and finally have insurance again! This stinks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Thankyou guys.
I have an appointment at 3:00 at the doctors office by my house. I've never used this particular doctor before (the one i've used before is off today) but at the moment i don't really mind too much whom i see so long as they do a good job and figure out how to get me over this cold!

They want a deposit $100 up front when i come in (understandable), they said if the visit costs less than my deposit- i'll get my change back, if it's more they would be happy to possibly work out a payment plan if i talk to the doctor- so if i need to, that's what i will do. I asked if they offer discounts/etc to returning patients and the lady at the desk said no she couldn't do that- but i could ask the doctor- so i'm going to do that. Hopefully he'll be kind about it since i'm paying it all out of pocket. I was able to get total access (it's a prescription assistance plan for people w/o insurance/etc) so i'm going to see if he'll write me a prescription for something on the list that i can get a discount on if he thinks i need it. We'll see! I hope it doesn't cost a fortune!

Geesh i can't WAIT to get married soon and finally have insurance again! This stinks!
ASK for samples too

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good update!

I LOVE the doctor i saw! She was soo sweet! I still can't pronounce her name right though
She was great on the price - it only cost about $81 and also gave me plenty of samples and a cupon so i would get my new inhaler for free
I am sooo greatful that it didn't cost as much as i was worried it would.

I have Bronchitis and a severe sinus infection. She put me on levoquin, methylpred (prednisone knock off), novasus (strong cough syrup), xopenex (it's similar to my albuterol inhaler that i'm running low on), and kept me on two other medicines i was already on. Hopefully i'll start to feel better soon and be rid of this cold for good! She also told me i needed a cool mist humidifier so i bought one tonight when i got my prescriptions filled. So maybe soon, i'll be all better and have a little more energy- that would be great to be back to my normal self by Christmas time

At the moment though i'm still feeling kind of crummy so i'm planning to go to bed early and just rest tomorrow.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Good update!

I LOVE the doctor i saw! She was soo sweet! I still can't pronounce her name right though
She was great on the price - it only cost about $81 and also gave me plenty of samples and a cupon so i would get my new inhaler for free
I am sooo greatful that it didn't cost as much as i was worried it would.

I have Bronchitis and a severe sinus infection. She put me on levoquin, methylpred (prednisone knock off), novasus (strong cough syrup), xopenex (it's similar to my albuterol inhaler that i'm running low on), and kept me on two other medicines i was already on. Hopefully i'll start to feel better soon and be rid of this cold for good! She also told me i needed a cool mist humidifier so i bought one tonight when i got my prescriptions filled. So maybe soon, i'll be all better and have a little more energy- that would be great to be back to my normal self by Christmas time

At the moment though i'm still feeling kind of crummy so i'm planning to go to bed early and just rest tomorrow.
Aww you have it bad! I hope the new medicine helps. I don't want to hear you have pheumonia next! Take it easy and rest up.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Aww you have it bad! I hope the new medicine helps. I don't want to hear you have pheumonia next! Take it easy and rest up.
Thanks hon
Phenumonia was my concern- the last time i was really sick- it turned into that and i was out of work/school sick for weeks and in really bad shape- so i wanted to get in to see the doctor before it got that bad. She was SOOOO nice too- i am going to switch doctors to her as my primary care physician from now on
Hopefully with the medicine and a little rest i will get rid of this gunk soon! In the mean time though i feel like coughing up a lung and ripping my ears off at the same time...
Attractive huh?
The sinus infection is really bad and it's causing a lot of ear issues (not good- i had surgery on both ears about 2 yrs back and they give me lots of issues even when i'm not sick- so this is not helping! Fosters keeps staring at me funny everytime i scratch at my ears because he gets told "no" when he tries to scratch his ears
)

Tomorrow i'm planning to just lounge around a bit and rest after i run a few errands. In the mean time- i've got the humidifier (sp?) running in the bedroom and i'm about to go to sleep!:snore: Hopefully tonight i'll sleep all the way through - i haven't been able to do that in about 2 weeks now so that would be awesome!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't levoquin a newer antibiotic? You probably needed a stronger one since you said the sinus infection is really bad.
That you have bronchitis doesn't really surprise me. DH (who has asthma) gets that anytime he has a cold that hangs on for a few days.
Probably best to see a doc anytime you feel a cold start to go to your chest, instead of trying to wait it out. I've learned that's best after dealing with pneumonia myself.

For my last bad cold, my doctor prescribed a cough syrup with hydrocodone in it. The stuff actually tasted yummy!

Glad to hear that you got the prescription card and hope that you can get over your cold soon now that you have meds.

Remember to eat some yogurt so the antibiotic doesn't get to you.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Isn't levoquin a newer antibiotic? You probably needed a stronger one since you said the sinus infection is really bad.
That you have bronchitis doesn't really surprise me. DH (who has asthma) gets that anytime he has a cold that hangs on for a few days.
Probably best to see a doc anytime you feel a cold start to go to your chest, instead of trying to wait it out. I've learned that's best after dealing with pneumonia myself.

For my last bad cold, my doctor prescribed a cough syrup with hydrocodone in it. The stuff actually tasted yummy!

Glad to hear that you got the prescription card and hope that you can get over your cold soon now that you have meds.

Remember to eat some yogurt so the antibiotic doesn't get to you.
I honestly don't know much about the Levoquin...but it seems to be ok for me at the moment..i haven't had any weird side effects/etc.
There are only a few antibiotics i can really take as i am allergic to some of the more common ones, so for years Zithromax has been one of the only ones that doesn't really have weird reactions for me. She had samples of the Leviquin and said it would probably be a good match for me based on my symptoms so she gave me that.

That cough syrup is AMAZING!!!!!
OMG last night i only woke up once during the night- once!!! That was it! I haven't slept mostly through the night in weeks!!!!!!! I love the stuff -it really soothed the coughing!

The Methylpred (generic prednisone) though is just kind of zapping all my energy at the moment. That normally happens when i start taking pred. the first few days and then i gradually feel better and my symptoms go away...so it must be working
My inhaler is doing a good job of opening up my lungs a bit- so that is good news for me- i can breathe a little better.

I'm still feeling pretty run down today...could just be a combination of all the medicines, but hopefully it'll get better soon. I don't feel like going anywhere/doing much of anything at the moment though...i'm just curled up with the dogs on the couch and i've got the humidifier going.

Thankyou for the tip on the yogurt- i have some in the fridge so i will eat some in a little bit!