ARRGHHH! Cat pisses everywhere BUT the litter box

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't get it. I took her to the vet just a few weeks ago and he says there's absolutely nothing wrong with her. She eats fine, she plays fine, she poops in the litter box like a good cat, she'll pee maybe once or twice in the litter box, but after that she keeps peeing along these two walls in my apartment.

I caught her multiple times by not changing her litter box for a bit and seeing how many clumps I get, and if there aren't as many as there should I get suspicious and bam, there it is, along an entire wall, urine spots everywhere.

I scold the cat, and she just finds another wall to piss along. Is there anything I can do short of confining her to the bathroom forever?

-Lemur 6

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet do a urinalysis. It is very possible that they can have a urinary tract infections, and no outward signs other than the inappropriate elimination. This should be your first step, if the urinalysis comes back normal, then I would look into some behavioral issues.

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
scolding does no good as they don't know what yer bitchin about, my female was peeing around as she had a bladder infection and associated the litter box with pain when she tried to pee. Some meds and she is using the box as normal.
If no medical issues exsist then you could try Feliway for cats. A solution to the problem of unnecessary spraying and marking by cats in a safe and drug-free spray-on treatment. www.feliway.com

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Sandie, have the vet do an urinalysis first to rule out an infection. Cats are notourious for carrying around low-grade urinary tract infections.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm, but would the cat still try to go in the litter box if she had an infection? Seems like she doesn't always pee on the carpet since I do clean out clumps in the litterbox. I'll go ask the vet again to take a look at her... grr... maybe I should invest in medical insurance for the cat, seems like she has a new problem every month.

-Lemur 6

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A cat will go wherever they can when they have an infection. Little bits of urine, squatting and trying to pee with only a tiny bit coming out or nothing, or spraying are all possible signs of a urinary tract infection. Don't get angry/upset/frustrated with her, she is not doing this on purpose. Rule out a health issue first before looking at the litter box issue or behaviorial issues. The best way to rule out a health issue is for the vet to draw out the urine direct from the bladder with a needle-

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

A cat will go wherever they can when they have an infection. Little bits of urine, squatting and trying to pee with only a tiny bit coming out or nothing, or spraying are all possible signs of a urinary tract infection. Don't get angry/upset/frustrated with her, she is not doing this on purpose. Rule out a health issue first before looking at the litter box issue or behaviorial issues. The best way to rule out a health issue is for the vet to draw out the urine direct from the bladder with a needle-
Ouch!
so does that what a urinalysis involve? Vet jabs kitty in the bladder with a needle? Poor kitty, I almost don't want to take her to the vet now... she's gonna hate me so much after Friday...

mferr84

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she'll be okay... and if she turns out to have an infection, you and she(after being on meds and getting better) will be glad you made the decision to do so!

let us know what you find out..

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay... this is REALLY pissing me off. Vet gave me antibiotics to give to the cat, a 1 week course. While she's getting medicated she stays in the bathroom, and I use nature's miracle to bomb the carpet free of urine. So I let her out once a day supervised for a week, and I even put a litter box in the kitchen. She does fine, and then today, I turn my head for ONE MOMENT, and she FREAKIN' pisses on the same spot AGAIN.

I seriously don't know what to do anymore. I'm soooo mad at her right now, I think if she does it again I'll end up killing her or kicking her out of the apt.

Someone tell me this isn't normal, what the heck do I have to do to make her quit pissing on the carpet?

-Lemur 6

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok you have to calm down. Coming onto a forum like this and telling people your will kill or kick out your cat for peeing is not a smart thing to do. You can't do that, if you absolutely don't want your cat anymore for something as minor as this, then maybe you should reconsider having a cat in the first place. At least take her to a shelter or put an ad in the paper first. Ok that being said...

Cats sense your frustration which stresses them out even more. Any new change in your home could stress out a cat as well. You could move the couch over 5 feet and the cat could get stressed and pee. It is extreme but it could happen. So if the vet did the urinalysis and it was definately a UTI, stick with the meds, if the symptoms are still there then take her back to the vet and tell him what is going on. Maybe there is a stronger medication he can give you. What is the name of the meds she is currently taking?

Get some Feliway like someone suggested. It works, a bit pricey to keep up with but it does a great job.

What kind of food are you feeding? Buy a good human grade quality from a Pet Store NOT a grocery store (ex, no Friskies or Whiskas or Alley Cat or Cat Chow) and buy one that says it is for urinary tract health like Nutro Natural.

Do you feed her wet food at all? Add water into the wet food if you do, enough so that the wet food is completely liquid and she has to lap it up. The point is so she gets water into her to maintain the right pH level in the urine. Keep her in the bathroom when you do this because she might have to pee more often. Just do this once a day and just a little, don't go overboard.

Keep in mind other stress factors going on around her. Is she spayed? Are there other cats roaming or spraying right outside that may be stressing her out? Did you move furniture? Do people come and go visiting often? Do you have other cats she may not be comfortable around? Any other changes?