Argh! Litter box troubles again-PLEASE HELP

nanazoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 9 week old shelter adoptee Henry had problems using the floor after I moved the litterbox about a week ago. So I leaned like mad and put the box where he was going which was the bathroom and bought another box and placed that one where the original box was. We have 3 litter boxes in total for 3 cats. Henry was doing great now over the last 2-3 days he is back to defecating anywhere he pleases. Under furniture, on the floor and he is using the litter box. Can someone tell me what could be going on?

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once read an article that said you need to have 1+ litter box to the total of cats you own. Since you have 3 cats, maybe you need 4 litter boxes?

Have you made sure the other cats don't use the same litter boxes, your 9week old does? I would look into it.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I've read about products you can add to litter to attract cats  - a quick search on amazon brings up the following:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...prefix=litter+att,aps,161&tag=&tag=thecatsite

I've never tried any of these so don't know how effective they are, but that's one possibility.

Another thing you might try is to use the same kind of litter as the shelter used.

Also, I'm wondering if this might be a territorial thing.  If he was confined to a safe room for a couple of days, it would be interesting to see if he used the box.

Good luck!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nanazoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much. I love this site. Fortunately he knows where all the boxes are, he uses two of them.the third he won't use because our older cat does. I clean them twice a day. I know the litter is different so I will change that to one that is similar to the one e shelter used. He is back to using the boxes again! I don't know why I did t put two and two together but we had a family member visits with her dog (a shitz tu) who was only one and chasing them. That is when the accidents started again. Luckily they were only here overnight and things are back to normal. :clap: