Are you Yankee or Dixi-Quiz!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even more southern than my hubby !96% (Dixie). Is General Lee your father?
Why am I not surprised? Could it be because I've lived in Alabama all my life?
Cindy

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder how "valid" the test is for Western states, since they were the last settled, and people from the East "transplanted" their accents and vocabularies. Here in Europe, it seems as if you go down the road a couple of miles and encounter a different dialect (it's extreme in Britain), but in the U.S., I've always noticed a bigger difference between the states north and south of the Mason-Dixon Line than I have between the East and West Coasts. And a state like Florida, with so many "snowbirds", must show extreme variations. Texas I would have to exempt - the state is bigger than most other countries, and the accent is hard to define, other than to say the people have a "Texas drawl". The test was fun, though. I sent it to a friend in Delaware, who grew up about 20 miles from me, und he came up a "Dixie". Odd, isn't it? On the other hand, I pronounce "either" and "neither" in the British fashion, thanks to my Belfast-born step-grandfather! Another oddity I've discovered is that a great many Native Americans who have grown up on reservations in various parts of the U.S. have similar accents (what my sister's s.o., a Sioux, calls "reservation English"), regardless of where in the U.S. the reservation is located, or what language family the native language belongs to. M. is from South Dakota, and yet he sounds eerily similar to a friend who was born and grew up in Maryland, and whose parents were raised on a Navajo reservation in Arizona. Americans are so mobile that it's difficult to categorize them.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
70% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

-------
I did it just for the fun of it, wondering what kind of score I'd come up with. I was born and raised in eastern Canada, have spent more than half my life in western Canada, and have never lived south of the 49th parallel! The rest of my family is much the same, except to add that my parents spent their early years in England (Mum was born there).

Amusing!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, "Dixie" as in "Dixie Chick", i.e., a Southerner, as opposed to a "Yankee", or Northerner. The term "Yankee" is a bit "fuzzy", as it is used by people in other countries to mean U.S. citizens, by Southerners to mean Northerners, and by Northerners to mean the people from New England!

persia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
83% Dixie---probably fom having a northern mother and a southern Father. Anyway, I now live in the HOME OF THE RAZORBACKS!!!!!!

persia