Are you their meowmy (or daddy?)

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG!!! I will re-size that photo!! I pulled up my post, and the picture is only about 4 inches by 4 inches! Hmmmmmmmmmmm...what the heck is with MY computer here???!!!!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hrmn... I don't think I could look at it as a parent/child relationship... more a best friends kind of relationship. I'm certainly not an owner... that implies a sense of "property" and cats are very much free spirits. It also implies that cats are in some way inferior... and we all know that's not true!! I think Rune and I are very much owned though. Tosca is very specific about what she wants - she insists on waking us both up at 3am because she wants to be cuddled. We're not much fun when we're both asleep and not paying her any attention. So to fix the problem, she comes and paws at our faces until we cuddle her. She likes to get under the duvet as well... if she wants you to scritch her ears, she'll put her head under your hand. If she wants to be stroked, she'll put her head under your hand and then walk under it, running her back all along our palms. Just until we get the idea and do it for ourselves, of course
She's such a little character, and I think the relationship will develop as we get older.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Missy&SpikesMom

Oh! I am DEFINITELY Missy and Katy's Mommy, for SURE!!!!!!!!

I HAVE to watch Katy, like a toddler, because she is SO mischievious! Here she is in this pic, ready to Divebomb Missy--hah--caught her in time!!
"Who me, Mum?? --- No, just making sure she's comfortable
"

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are my babies, but not my children. I love them to death but I'm not their Mum.
That's how I feel. I am their "owner", meaning guardian and having a responsibility for their welfare and happiness. I call them my babycats, even though neither of them are babies.

But my mother called them her grandcats. She had three grandcats and two granddogs. And because I don't have children, I would tease her by giving her photos of the cats to display along with her grandchidren photos.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kellyyfaber

Shy and I are definitely parents to our kitties. We refer to each other as "mom" and "dad" when we talk to them
. He even found Mother's Day cards for me the past two years that were "from kitties to their mom". I don't know how he found them lol. We even give each other Christmas, Birthday and MOther/Fathers day presents "from the cats". They run to us for reassurance and protection and give us affection like children. I really couldn't love a human child any more than I love our little furries.
Girl, you and Shy are just like Bradley and I!

We refer to each other as Cosy and Eppie's mommy and daddy. Bradley is always proudly telling me how Cosette is becoming a Daddy's Girl
I do think of them as my babies, but (don't laugh) I also think of them as 2 of my very best friends.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fiance' and I both consider our pets to be our babies, but neither of us consider ourselves our cats' parents.
We are their staff.
I am their cook and butler, he's their maid.

I am, however, my dog's mom

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely mommy here! And grandma to Christy, my daughter's cat and to Scooby, my grandson's dog. My crew stays at my mom's quite frequently since my hubby & l travel alot, so the entire family refers to her as grandma to my pets, as well as to my sister's. And I love my siblings pets with the love of an aunt.
On a similar note, I was watching WildRescues on Animal Planet, and Terri Crisp, founder of United Animal Nations (their EARS project rescues animals during disasters), said that for most pet owners, their pets are part of the family, which was evident when they showed people being reunited with their pets. It reminded me of a tough-looking rancher-type in the Oklahoma tornado disaster (was it 2001 or 2002?) going thru the rubble of their home, and they found the cat, and he said, "Well, the house may be gone, but here's (whatever the cat's name was), so now I have my family safe & sound & that's all that matters" - I was moved to tears.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

We are their staff.
I am their cook and butler, he's their maid.

Yeah, we're staff, too. In fact, my job is a staffer at a medical association and my hubby loves to tease me about being staff both at home and at work.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sammie5

That's how I feel. I am their "owner", meaning guardian and having a responsibility for their welfare and happiness. I call them my babycats, even though neither of them are babies.

But my mother called them her grandcats. She had three grandcats and two granddogs. And because I don't have children, I would tease her by giving her photos of the cats to display along with her grandchidren photos.

sooz123

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep, yep and yep, yep yep yep yep

Mika is part of the "Family Business". His job is to wake momma up right at 7am every weekday (and although I might not be happy about it, I overlook the fact that he has apparently lost his dayminder and wakes me up on weekends, too).

I had to give him a verbal warning for being very late to work the other day, and this morning I had to question why he sent Holly in to do his job for him (although she did show up right on time). He said he was on "Bug Patrol" and had an important arrest to make, so he had to delegate some responsibilities to the new girl.

I had to give him props for making sure all got taken care of