Are you sane?

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Originally Posted by Sammie5

I see the point, and don't want to be insensitive to the important issue of understanding and acceptance of mental illness. A friend who is clinically depressed is tired of hearing her family tell her, "you should just cheer up, don't take things so seriously".

I did find that to be a cute joke.

But the real point of my post is, when my mother was going through chemo, we had a LOT of "today at the cancer ward" jokes. It was the only way we could keep from crying some times.

The very best one (not really a joke, but it was funny). I was with my mom in the chemo clinic waiting room. They called her name, and I got up and walked toward the desk. She said, wait, wait, they're going to think that you are me! And I looked behind me, and said, Don't worry, they'll be able to figure out which one of us has cancer. The whole waiting room cracked up. (Mom was very frail, obviously had lost weight because her clothes were too big, and she had no hair).
Yes there is humor to be found in just about anything, even the Holocaust...for example Art Speigleman's (sp) Pulitzer prize winning Maus. And yes cancer jokes abound, I heard plently as a nurse. However cancer jokes are usually reserved for those invested in the illness, the patient, the loved ones and the care givers if they are close to the patient. You don't see stand up comics doing cancer jokes (unless it's about themselves) You do see stand ups doing crazy people routines.

While I realize the intent of this joke was not to harm, what I am pointing out is how often this type a joke is told, with nary a thought to the realities of mental illness.

I really don't expect much support here. When I first joined TCS, I found a thread that was titled (paraphrase) "What type of mental illness are you". Like most things in life, I found it by accident while searching for something else. It was in my opinion a crass and thoughtless thread. Posters were responding to each other with "Wow, I'm bipolar" "LOL I'm a borderline personality!" The thread was, if I recall corectly about a year and a half old. The moderators deemed it too old to make a difference, so they refused to remove it.

I will keep complaining when I see things that are offensive toward the mentally ill. I'll either educate a few people, or annoy people to death...or get thrown off of here. I really don't care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify a few things, as I started this thread. I thought it was an amusing joke, so I posted, it wasn't intended to offend. My BIL is a paranoid schizophrenic, he spent some time in various state mental hospitals. When I shared the joke with my DH, he just grinned and rolled his eyes. I do know that mental illness is serious, and that you can't just snap out of it.

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I said pull the plug, but didn't tell my husband. He said he wanted a bucket. The white truck should be here soon.....

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom of Franz , point taken. I see there is a huge difference between jokes made by people who are involved in treatment, to defuse things, and other people who are making the jokes out of a lack of understanding. Thanks for explaining so well.

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sammie5

Mom of Franz , point taken. I see there is a huge difference between jokes made by people who are involved in treatment, to defuse things, and other people who are making the jokes out of a lack of understanding. Thanks for explaining so well.
Sammie THANK YOU!!!
Hope your Mom did well with her chemo...a rough road indeed.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sammie5, I loved your joke with your mum (considering my circumstances right now, it really gave me an inside smile
).

MomofFranz: you should speak up about what you feel is wrong, even if you do annoy some while doing it...I remember when I was working at a women's health clinic that dealt with a variety of illnesses and situations, both physical and emotional, and one of the staff posted a joke directed at how mentally ill people would answer a certain phone call...Now, I love a good joke, even black humour when you are immersed in a field that seems utterly depressing and hopeless sometimes, but this was in truly bad form...The joke wasn't even correct (the schizophrenic answered the phone along the lines of "Who? me or her?" or something like that...which I am sure you know the disassociative personality disorder that EVEN TODAY! some people confuse with schizophrenia...

I asked them to remove it even though I was relatively new there and was fearful some people would think I was a prig. But, it came out that more people were offended than I but just didn't say anything!

EDITED TO ADD: Bren1, I personally didn't find this joke as much in bad taste as that one and I know you didn't mean to offend. Most people don't intentionally

Cheers!

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

Sammie5, I loved your joke with your mum (considering my circumstances right now, it really gave me an inside smile
).

MomofFranz: you should speak up about what you feel is wrong, even if you do annoy some while doing it...I remember when I was working at a women's health clinic that dealt with a variety of illnesses and situations, both physical and emotional, and one of the staff posted a joke directed at how mentally ill people would answer a certain phone call...Now, I love a good joke, even black humour when you are immersed in a field that seems utterly depressing and hopeless sometimes, but this was in truly bad form...The joke wasn't even correct (the schizophrenic answered the phone along the lines of "Who? me or her?" or something like that...which I am sure you know the disassociative personality disorder that EVEN TODAY! some people confuse with schizophrenia...

I asked them to remove it even though I was relatively new there and was fearful some people would think I was a prig. But, it came out that more people were offended than I but just didn't say anything!

EDITED TO ADD: Bren1, I personally didn't find this joke as much in bad taste as that one and I know you didn't mean to offend. Most people don't intentionally

Cheers!
Loveysmummy, you are so right. Glad you spoke up, that took hutzpah!

cincocatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a stigma to the diagnosis of mental illness. It is a disease of the mind, just as heart disease is a disease of the heart, diabetes a disease of the pancreas etc. I hope that in time there will be no more stigma attached to mental illness. People who have a mental illness can't help it. I can remember when cancer had a different kind of stigma attached and no one spoke about it.