Are you prepared?

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since I'll be living in a Campervan, I'll have all I need. I'll be getting solar, so power shouldn't be a problem. Just would have to stock up on freeze-dried food and water.

rescue-mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are somewhat prepared.We have massive first aid kits(but mostly because hubby is accident prone and i am a nurse) and the animals are set for 1 cat i have 200 cans of food and 36 bottles of water and the 2 dogs i have 250 cans of food and 48 bottles of water(of course the cat and dogs can share water).
We have flashlights and tones of water and some canned food but other than that we are not prepared(my pets are).
I now realize i need personal items,TP,Tooth paste and such.
We are in an area that the chance of a natural disaster is minimal unless its a bad storm.
The worst one we had was 1987 tornado an F4 so maybe i am just feeling too "safe".

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not prepared for anything such as an earthquake, we really don't get them here. Well big ones that is. I think the largest recorded in my state was magnitude 5.4. We just had one where the epicenter was about 25 miles from where I live, was like a 2.5. So I am not worried. We do get tornados and severe winter weather however. I prepare ahead of time if I can. Such as last month when we had a severe ice storm. I was without power, water and heat for a few days and it was very cold outside. When the ice started, I filled 5 gallon buckets with water, because I knew we would lose power. I have battery powered lanterns and many flashlights. My biggest concern are tornados and my cats. I just don't let these things worry me though. If it happens it happens and I am prepared to deal with it then. I just pray that my wild cat enclosures are strong enough to withstand some or most tornados. If there was a direct hit by an F5, there is nothing anyone can do, because nothing can withstand that. But F5 tornados are rare.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is ironic. Got a call from my SIL who lives in Evergreen, Colorado. She got a reverse 911 Call, when they call you. She needed to evacuate her house because of a wild fire one mile away from their home. She was frantically running through the house throwing stuff in the cars. My BIL was racing home from work and her son was packing up his car. They have one dog, a pug.

Got me thinking, what in the world would I have done with five cats and two dogs and trying to get all of my sentimental items together as well. So, I really do need to have a plan in action just in case. It was a wake up call to get prepared.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
for your family in CO!

Being in the RV, an evacuation situation would be fairly easy to manage.

But for an emergency that affects the RV, we have carriers for each of the kitties (they're all fold down, two are large and hard-sided). We have a fold-down tent kind of thing where they could all stay if it had to be for any length of time.

We keep two backpacks packed with everything we'd need between them except keepsakes and clothes, which could quickly be thrown in the last minute. We replace the food, spices, and water in them every year (a lot of that camping food lasts years!). I made a small wedding/family photo album, so it's ready to grab. With online stuff, you needn't lose much these days in terms of photos, but....

And we keep water, litter, an extra travel box, and cat food in the car all the time.