Are You Offended When People Don't Compliment Your Cat?

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had one of my cats at the vet today. In the waiting room, there were only two cats--mine and one other--and three dogs. Everyone was looking at each other's pets. Someone commented that the tortoise shell cat next to me was gorgeous and that someone else's (ugly) dog was beautiful. There was a huge dog there that everyone seemed to be amazed by. Several people looked at my beautiful, stunning Snowshoe/Siamese cat and said nothing. My cat belongs on every freaking runway and in every kitty fashion show in Paris and should be on the cover of every Cat Fancy magazine and no one said ANYTHING about him!!!!! My cat didn't seem offended by it, but I was very annoyed. I just needed to vent.

Also, it always drives me crazy when I show people pictures of my cats and they have no response. Are you blind? Do you not see my gorgeous model cats? Okay, I vented. I feel a little better now.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really. As long as they don’t say my cat is ugly saying nothing is fine. I’m more worried about my cat being ok and not nervous at the vet; rather than someone complimenting her beauty.

She’s there to make sure she is healthy not for a fashion show. I’m sorry you were offended but it is the doctor for them. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, I knew my cat was okay though. He was just there for a check up and vaccinations.

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got used to people making a fuss over my older male. He is a handsome boy. However, my girl is very pretty too. My younger male doesn’t get out much and he hides from strangers. I guess sometimes I think about it but I don’t get offended if nobody says anything. My brother has ugly dogs and a very fat cat and I tell him all the time. To him, they’re beautiful. I think all my cats are pretty but they’d rather have a treat than a complement.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a friend who always talked crap about my late cat Willie. Willie only liked me. I was the only person who could hold her or touch her and this friend always said Willie sucked. I'm not friends with this friend anymore (for different reasons than hating my cat), but I don't think I would/could ever say something mean about another persons animal, even if I didn't like that animal.

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, you can get away with it when it’s family. Plus, I think my brother is more offended than the animals are, which is the idea.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who had a Giant Schnauzer To me he was ugly. Because I like her I never told her that. But I never told her he was pretty either.

Meanwhile I do compliment her Manx, who is not as cute as other tailless Manxes.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one of my cats at the vet today. In the waiting room, there were only two cats--mine and one other--and three dogs. Everyone was looking at each other's pets. Someone commented that the tortoise shell cat next to me was gorgeous and that someone else's (ugly) dog was beautiful. There was a huge dog there that everyone seemed to be amazed by. Several people looked at my beautiful, stunning Snowshoe/Siamese cat and said nothing. My cat belongs on every freaking runway and in every kitty fashion show in Paris and should be on the cover of every Cat Fancy magazine and no one said ANYTHING about him!!!!! My cat didn't seem offended by it, but I was very annoyed. I just needed to vent.

Also, it always drives me crazy when I show people pictures of my cats and they have no response. Are you blind? Do you not see my gorgeous model cats? Okay, I vented. I feel a little better now.
OMG! You have me laughing so hard!:flail:
You are a proud cat parent for sure!
Yes, it may be petty, but when one of the cats comes out of the carrier at the vets I expect the vet tech to coo and gush over my pretty baby. If she doesn't, I always think "What's wrong with that girl? Doesn't she see the cuteness in front of her?"
The same goes for coworkers. I try to refrain from constantly showing pictures, but if I do show them one they better admire my baby, darn it!:lol:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had vet techs go wandering with Link before so I get more annoyed when they fuss over him too much. I also had the recent problem of his cheek being swollen and the vet tech thought it was cute. I usually get the "is he twenty pounds? He's huge!" He is fourteen pounds, just long. Also lots of "he's pretty", "he is so good" and "he's stunning" mostly from vet techs but a few people in waiting rooms. He is a good boy as long as I am in the room or it's his normal vet tech in the back room.

Rocket tends to get over looked because she is tiny and scared. While Link sits normally in the cat carrier and is very visible, Rocket takes up less than half of the same carrier and tends to hide in the back corner. She also doesn't look around or explore like he does at the vet.

At home, people tend to think they are the same cat for some reason.

My brother dotes over Rocket but thinks Link looks like a snaggle tooth dork. Link does have caninies that stick out slightly, is slightly cross eyed and shakes his head when he is hyper focused. It does look silly but he is a smart cat.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of times for some reason I get people that LOVE white animals or LOVE black animals, so they either really like Luna and don't care for Artemis or vice versa. Then I end up feeling bad for one of them because these racist cat people only like either black or white. Strange.

When people meet my cats, they always fuss over Artemis because he is so friendly, and Luna doesn't really care to meet new people. She's not hostile, but she just won't go up to someone on her own you have to go to her. So again, I feel like Luna is left out of all the attention. My family also likes her the least of all my pets and she's very underappreciated.

I guess I don't expect someone to give them compliments, but I don't like one of them being left out.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It doesn't bother me if someone thinks my cat is gorgeous or it they think she's ugly. I think she's fantastic and that's all that matters to me.

However, I don't oppose someone if they think she's beautiful.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know where you're coming from T tabbysia .We're proud of them and understand intellectually that not all folks see cats the way we do but on a gut level we can't understand why.
I'm surprised no one took more notice though, cat lovers or not.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes...kind of, but not really offended but hurt/annoyed.
ESPECIALLY when there are many in the room and yours is the only one singled out and ignored! That's BS.
Our dogs especially, and they're not dogs bred for beauty but for good structure and work, and most people do find the very nice looking dogs and say so. But one day we were at a dog event with one of our (dare I say it) nicest looking dogs, and there was a large, hairy dog there and people were crapping their pants over his "beauty." Bless this dogs heart, he was very sweet and very calm and I did like him a lot... but it looked like whoever gave him his haircut did it with hedge clippers....while blindfolded....and drunk. He was panting and his teeth weren't in the hottest shape and the poor thing had what appeared to be a mixture of canned dog food mixed with saliva stuck to the hair around his mouth. My dog was ignored, and when he panted it didn't stink up the room. So yeah. :crazy:
Another thing I hate more is when you talk with someone for an hour ALL about their cat, or ALL about their dog, you mention YOUR cat or YOUR dog and immediately they "have to go" and run off or hang up the phone. :yelling:

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do but only in a joking/funny kind of way. I'm so used to people calling Gizmo a handsome boy that when somebody doesn't acknowledge that he is, in fact, a handsome boy, I make a mental note of how downright rude they are. :lol: Or when people compliment my female cat Stevie and don't say a word about Gizmo, I also make a mental note of that too. He is a handsome manboy, everybody should take note!!!

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love this thread!:lol:

I don’t get offended, and my reaction to other peoples reaction kind of depends on the cat. I`m saying this with love, but I know my two males might not be the brightest OR belong on the catwalk. :lol: They are more big, chubby goofs, that you have to know to love. Especially When they go to the vet, where they don`t really show their best side. They`ll make a sound that can sound a bit like a cow yelling and hiss at anything that moves.

My adult female has a really cute resting b*** face going on, she`s also small, talkative and a big personality in a petit body. So I`m more used to people finding her part funny and part cute. :lol: The kittens however, seems to make everyone fall in love. So I might be kind of surprised if i came across people who didn`t go a bit soft around them. ;)

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love my cats dearly, but of the six of them (my five plus my foster,) Zephyr is the only one who appears "normal" or doesn't have some kind of obvious issue.

Maisie has poor body condition and coat because of his CKD. Cullen is very fearful and has some odd behaviors. Lacey is semi-feral. Toad is blind and her eyes are pretty different looking. (People who meet her often ask due to her facial appearance if she has eyes. She does.) Froggy's esophageal deformity is severe enough that it can be seen pretty obviously with the naked eye when he breathes, and he regurgitates a lot.

I think they're all beautiful, but I understand that other people may not see that. As long as people don't insult them, it's fine not to compliment them.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my cats dearly, but of the six of them (my five plus my foster,) Zephyr is the only one who appears "normal" or doesn't have some kind of obvious issue.

Maisie has poor body condition and coat because of his CKD. Cullen is very fearful and has some odd behaviors. Lacey is semi-feral. Toad is blind and her eyes are pretty different looking. (People who meet her often ask due to her facial appearance if she has eyes. She does.) Froggy's esophageal deformity is severe enough that it can be seen pretty obviously with the naked eye when he breathes, and he regurgitates a lot.

I think they're all beautiful, but I understand that other people may not see that. As long as people don't insult them, it's fine not to compliment them.
We saw an old couple in their 80's (guessing) with an old little dog that was 16. Her coat was thinning and she walked stiffly but the owners had taken care to tie adorable little bows in her ears and fit her with a matching scarf. I couldn't help myself, I probably freaked them out but I couldn't help but make over that little dog and compliment her to them. It was obvious she was SO well loved and looked after, maybe to me that makes the difference =)
If I saw a scruffy cat at the vet and the owner said they had health problems causing a bad coat, I'd probably do the same thing.
We root for the underdog here =D

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat never gets complimented unless it's by a couple family members :bawling: No one ever cares to see pictures of her and she doesn't like strangers, so few visitors ever see her. Since she's just your average tabby no one pays attention to her at the vet, and the only special attention she gets from vet techs is when they find out her age and are very impressed with her health. I comfort myself by remembering that she's too good for all of them anyway. She's a strong, confident kitty and she doesn't need validation from anyone