Are you afraid of rodents?

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Originally Posted by jcat

I'll have to check that book out, Barbara! Do you remember the original "Willard" film, from the early 70s? Bruce Davison amd Ernest Borgnine starred in it. I think there was a remake, but I never saw it. My mom had a rat phobia, until I got pet rats. She would walk around the house with a rat or two sitting on her shoulder once she got over their tails, and says she still misses having them around.
LOL Tricia, I never saw Williard, or Ben. I believe I would rather have my toenails pulled out one by one! Honestly, after the author's reading, I had a rat nightmare, it's just too sensitive a subject for me. It's odd, I had a pet snake as a kid, and was an avid spider watcher as well, they didn't bother me. However because of my phobia, I understand how other creepy crawlies bug out (pun intended) other folks.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think mice and rats are pretty cute, although I would be terrified if I actually saw one in my house I'm sure. There's a baby chipmunk that always sits outside near the porch in the summer and he's so cute! Now, bats I'm very scared of.

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't stand mice, rats, snakes, lizards or any other reptile. I do like chipmunks and squirrels (from a distance though). My family thinks I'm crazy because I'm scared of rats and mice but think chipmunks and squirrels are cute. They keep saying a squirrel is just a rat with a bushy tail. I also don't like possums either. A giant one just tried to break in my house a couple nights ago. That thing was HUGE!!! I've never seen one that big before. It was atleast 10lbs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I'm not afraid of rats - I love rats, but I absolutely can't stand mice!!!
I love all animals. Okay, I don't like coyotes or rattle snakes, but thats it!
I'm really happy to hear you love rats Sam!

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DinahCat

I love all animals. I'm not fond of bugs, or snakes, or spiders...but I dont like to see them harmed either.
I absolutley LOVE rats! I've had 4 of them. Freddie & Nicodemus (Nicky for short) now live with my ex, but I get to see them on occasion. Rain and Barbie were mother & daughter and died of cancer (Rain passed in October, and Barbie passed just a month ago.) Rain was my favorite, but they were all so very sweet, and suprisingly clean. They are intelligent, and friendly too. I dont think I would ever get another rat though. The illnesses of Rain & Barbie were to hard to watch. I hated seeing them go, and because rats have such a short life span, and are prone to getting cancer, I wont get another one.
Yay! I completly agree!

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

I'm not sure if I should be surprised or expecting the number of rat/mice lovers on this thread.

Me, personally, NO F*CKING WAY!
I don't even want to see them on TV. I am so afraid of mice that when I did have them in my house (about a month) I slept with the TV and lights on so I didn't have to hear them.

A friend of mine has pet rats...I won't go into her bedroom. Her entire house has a smell from them too.

I'm not disparaging anyone that wants to keep them as pets. Just keep them away from me.
I understand. I was hoping you guys would love all animals. Again, its your loss. Anyways, sorry to hear that.

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I've had a guinea pig and a gerbil. The gerbil was actually toilet trained. He would go up a little ladder and do his business on a piece of metal I had up there. He never soiled the bottom of his cage. He was a cutie. His name was Jonathan the Gerbil.

My guinea pig used to talk to me. He had the run of the apartment when we were home but in the cage while we were at work. He always came when I called him. He was cute and his name was Niblets.
Wow! I'm on the process of toilet training Orei and Princess, and I'm sure that will be hard enough. Sounds like they were great furry friends.