Are You A One-Cat Person, or A Multi-Cat Person?

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a one cat home but am definately a multi cat girl. Trying to get Lee talked into another cat is hard work!

kittycity

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like a weirdo... just the opposite of practically everyone else here. I was a multi-cat person for years but permanently cut back to one cat about three years ago.

I loved having multiples, it was so much fun watching the interaction. Plus I knew they'd always have a playmate.

I was majorly sick several years ago... yep, the big C... (lymphoma). I spent time in the hospital and various weeks here and there, staying with my parents when I couldn't manage on my own. I'm fortunate enough to be totally healthy again, but you never know... and I've about used up my lifetime max on some of the chemo drugs so if I relapse I would probably be looking at a bone marrow transplant. Anyway, it made me think about what would happen to my kitties if I ever got too sick to take care of them or if I, well, died. My cats deserve to have a secure future, and I felt it would be easier to ensure their future if I just had one kitty to make arrangements for, vs. two or three or more. It's not the lifestyle I pictured for myself but I guess you have to be realistic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyCity

I feel like a weirdo... just the opposite of practically everyone else here. I was a multi-cat person for years but permanently cut back to one cat about three years ago.

I loved having multiples, it was so much fun watching the interaction. Plus I knew they'd always have a playmate.

I was majorly sick several years ago... yep, the big C... (lymphoma). I spent time in the hospital and various weeks here and there, staying with my parents when I couldn't manage on my own. I'm fortunate enough to be totally healthy again, but you never know... and I've about used up my lifetime max on some of the chemo drugs so if I relapse I would probably be looking at a bone marrow transplant. Anyway, it made me think about what would happen to my kitties if I ever got too sick to take care of them or if I, well, died. My cats deserve to have a secure future, and I felt it would be easier to ensure their future if I just had one kitty to make arrangements for, vs. two or three or more. It's not the lifestyle I pictured for myself but I guess you have to be realistic.
(hug)

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a multi-cat person. Right now, I'm maxed out on my lease with the two I have. But I'd like to have another pair bring me up to four. Of course, I'm moving back home in July and my parents have one cat so we won't be getting any more kitties for the next few years.

eupnea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now I just have the one. I had three when I lived with my parents, but I also had a lot more space.

I like having just Samuel because he's very bonded to me. He also does't seem to care for the other cats we've met very much. He wont go out of his way to attack them, but they are better off not trying to play with him too roughly. I'm not sure if he could adjust to having another cat living in what he has decided is HIS territory.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm definitely a multi-cat person- the more the merrier I say!! When I was actively taking in FeLV postives I had as many as 9, then they started getting sick, not because of the numbers I don't believe, just because it was their time, and my heart broke every time one of them passed so I decided to stop, but Simon had a lot to do with it also, he's kinda like Jcat's Jamie and makes life a living heck for any other kitty, and low-stress levels are one of the keys to keeping positives as healthy as possible. When (and if!) Simon and Sapphire ever pass on, I would like to get a houseful of healthy kitties, a mother and her entire litter would be ideal, at least I'd know they can all get along
My absolute max would probably be 10 though

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a one-cat person. It's taken years (and moving to a house) to have Ivo come out of her shell-she had been a stray, most likely abused by someone at some point in her life. I don't think she'd take to another cat, and I do not want to jeopardize the relationship we have now.

In the future, I'd like to adopt two together. But not now.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have really been through a rough time.

I am glad that you are in remission and will add you to my prayer list for a long healthy life.

Originally Posted by KittyCity

I'm fortunate enough to be totally healthy again, but you never know... and I've about used up my lifetime max on some of the chemo drugs so if I relapse I would probably be looking at a bone marrow transplant. Anyway, it made me think about what would happen to my kitties if I ever got too sick to take care of them or if I, well, died. My cats deserve to have a secure future, and I felt it would be easier to ensure their future if I just had one kitty to make arrangements for, vs. two or three or more. It's not the lifestyle I pictured for myself but I guess you have to be realistic.

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was a one cat person but when we lost Mittens and went looking for another baby to adopt we came across Bella and Cinders. They are litter sisters - the first time we saw them, they were cuddled together and we knew then that we couldn't separate them so I'm now a multi-cat person

grissom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Multicat... Well, Puffs initially liked having a friend. Or well, Jeter, becuase Jeter was little and Puffs could kinda bully him. But then Jeter EXPANDED. And now no one bullies Jeter, except Fellinni, my own little Napoleon. So, Puffs is the low rung on the ladder, now. But yeah, my point... I got another cat for Grissom to play with, and then it went so well that I got another.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely multi-cat. Cairo is now living by herself with my Mum, though, because SHE prefers being on her own, and is much happier that way. I really miss her, but it's best for her. I would have fifty cats if I could - there's just something so special about lots of kitties rubbing around your ankles and a house full of purrs! But it should depend on the cats, I think, not what I want personally.

staciej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A one-cat household, only because of apartment restictions. We've talked about adding another cat when moving day comes (end of summer) but I'm not certain since I also want to a dog to the mix. However, we'll probably add another cat/kitten in a few years.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Multi! My place would seem so empty with only one. For that matter, my bed would be awfully empty with only one cat in it!

Having said that, I have no right to wonder why I'm still single.

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I "own" three but only two live with me (lease restrictions and my oldest cat gets beat up by other cats and she is scared to death so she lives alone at my parent's home).

My personal number would be FOUR cats. I would always want to own a Siamese, an Abyssinian or mix, two other DSH cats.

As soon as I get a place that I OWN, I plan on adopting two more cats.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We started out with one, Toby, our gray tabby, just a little over a year ago.
A few months later, when spring came ,and I needed to be out in the yard a lot, I felt so sorry for Toby and we decided to get him a playmate. I had a friend who had a litter with a yellow tabby ,about the same age as Toby, that I`d met before. (Both of our cats were both 6 months when we adopted the second one)
It was a great decision. Two cats have never been more opposit than one another, and yetThey were BEST BUDS after the first 3 days.
Two really is all we can afford...not food wise, but with vet bills, and you never know how much that will be if someone gets really sick.... we figure we better just keep it there for now. Plus keeping up with the cat hair from 2 (and especially one, which I won`t single out....but the word "sheddy" rhymes with his name) is enough for me.
I also have worried about what would happen to them if something should happen to both Larry and myself while they are still living. (Larry is 57, I`m 56 and Toby & Tedy are just about a year and a half.) Probably one of us will still be taking care of them to the end of their lives....but just in case, we did have added to our will that we recently had made out, that our son should get them if anything happens to us. He interacts often with them, and they love him. He has agreed...and it give us peace of mind on the matter.
Linda