Are You A "Hunt & Peck" Keyboarder...

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends what you mean by the "proper" way. I learned how to type before I took any computer classes, by using the internet. However this was back when I had a computer with no graphics (no Windows etc) and I was mostly using it for games and to go on MOOs which is a sort of a cross between virtual reality and chat rooms. To speak to people in the room you had to type quotation marks. I had to learn to type more quickly in order to keep up with the conversations (before that I was strictly hunt-and-peck.) So my "home keys" are shift and the quotation mark key, this is where my hands automatically go when in between typing things (without my thinking about it.) I can type VERY fast now, in fact I am a faster typist than my brother who is a computer programmer/internet security adviser. The only time I ever look at the keyboard is if I somehow get shifted over on the keyboard and start typing nonsense like gwkki instead of hello.
When I took a computer class in high school, they taught the typical instruction of "home keys" (IIRC it's ASDF JKL
and the teacher tried to get me to use these. However she gave up quickly when she realized how fast I could type already!
I remember one of my friends sat next to me in the class and she would complain that my "speed typing" was too loud and distracted her.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After I learned how to "keyboard" for the job mentioned previously, I got into chatting in chat rooms. This has been years ago (miss the old chats!). That is where I got speed
Had to learn to type fast just to keep up with the scroll!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned to type one summer in high school. I actually typed that "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" sentence many times on a manual - yes, manual - typewriter. A keyboard is a piece of cake for me (hence my long posts). Dh types very fast as well. I think that we do about 60 - 70 wpm. Comes with working with computers all your professional career.

Ben took keyboarding in 3rd grade and I think that he now may type faster than us.

BTW, my Aunt Lotty was an executive secretary for a VP at Ciba Geigy and she could type 120 wpm on a manual or electric typewriter.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I taught myself how to type in Junior High, and I actually got quite good at the "improper way". Then I took a typing class my senior year of high school and had to learn all over again. I will say, it's much easier now, but there's NO way I'm trying that new keyboard...I'm too old to learn new tricks! I agree though that the mind types "words" and not letters. I'm fine typing just words but my fingers get confused sometimes and still type "saw" for "was", etc. Now, give me those screwy spam protector passwords (you know...Kdu3z9t) and it is DEFINITELY a hunt and peck thing! I'm not good with numbers though...I do usually have to look at them as I type but I'm getting better.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's another thing that I am weird about. I learned 10-key by touch so never use the number keys above the letters. I always use the keypad!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

That's another thing that I am weird about. I learned 10-key by touch so never use the number keys above the letters. I always use the keypad!
I'm getting better at using the keypad on the right. At work we have to type every phone number of every person we talk to so I can "almost" do it without looking. Of course, then I go to use the phone and have to rearrange my head.
Can't they get on the same page???

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I type normally and can type 60-80 wpm, depending on what I'm typing. I can actually type faster and with less mistakes if I'm typing what I read. If I just type off the top of my head I still type fairly quickly, but I make more mistakes. Not many, but when I'm copying printed words I'm super fast and don't make mistakes. Weird, huh?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I'm getting better at using the keypad on the right. At work we have to type every phone number of every person we talk to so I can "almost" do it without looking. Of course, then I go to use the phone and have to rearrange my head.
Can't they get on the same page???

When I was working customer service for a catalog company and had to punch in phone numbers, addresses, & CC numbers all day long, I trained myself to use the number keypad b/c it was a lot easier than trying to use the numbers at the top of the keyboard.
And a lot quicker, too.

I don't use the number keypad as much now though, b/c I don't use it as much when I'm online.

And you're right, Calico. It sure would be nice if the numbers were all arranged in the same way on phones, computers, and calculators.
I'm sure some Harvard genius somewhere was in charge of that -- probably the same person who decided to put the barcode on the bottom of packages so the poor cashiers have to break their backs when they're scanning groceries & such..

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't type hunt and peck, but I also don't keep my fingers on home row all the time..I find that annoying. I just know where the letters are on the keyboard, and type quite quickly..but I don't think its the proper way to type.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree I don't really keep my fingers on home row either. I mean they are in the general location but thats about. I don't get why there has to be a proper way to type. As long as I am relatively fast and with few to no errors why does it matter if I do it the proper way.