Are you a good housekeeper?

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate housework and do as little as I can get away with. I always keep the litter box clean and I hoover the living room most days to get up scattered litter, but apart from that... I have a high tolerance for mess! The cats like it messy anyway - the more stuff there is for them to climb on, under or into the more fun they have.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My house is a disaster area!!
I was supposed to clean up this weekend but I didn't. So maybe I will later this afternoon.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

I just wish I could get a little help around here from the cat. I do not expect him to scrub or wax the floors but you would think he would at least arrange his room when I tell him company is coming over.
LOL, I know how you feel. They can throw all the toys off the cat condo in a flash, but pick them up and put them back? Sorry, but that's beneath them - that's how they keep their slaves busy.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am OCD when it comes to cleaning and must keep the house spotless. Everything is clean, neat, and organized. It really doesn't take much effort on a daily basis. Each day when I get home from work, before I even take my shoes off, I spend about 20 minutes straightening up. I start in the bedroom and work my way to the other side of the house. I put everything away, wipe down the counters in the bathrooms, start a load of laundry is needed, and finish the task by vacuuming. On the weekends I spend about 3 hours deep cleaning the house which includes dusting, scrubbing bathrooms, etc. If I don't clean up for the day, I can't function
I can't concentrate to work on homework because all I think about is how messy the house is, and I can't relax to watch tv. I think this comes from growing up with a mother who did NOT do any housework

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummm ... yes and no. Some things are spotless (like the kitchen) whereas other areas could use a lot of work (like the bathroom ... it doesn't matter how often I clean that tub, because of where my boy works, it's always filthy after he takes a shower). Overall, my apartment is tidy, with nothing out of place; it's just that the floors need sweeping/mopping or vacuuming, and some surfaces just won't stay clean. If I wanted to devote my entire waking life to keeping things clean, I could maybe keep up with the mess, but I don't, so ... *shrug* It's not perfect, but I can live with it.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a great house cleaner, it's just actually doing it that's the problem!
I swear I spend all weekend cleaning...only to have to clean all over again....and yes, sometimes I will leave boxes or bags scattered throughout my house cause the kitties are having a good time playing in them...

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fats McGee

I am easily the worst house keeper, ever.

My parents used think that there was something mentally wrong with me, and I'm not kidding! that's how bad it gets. I just don't like to do it. I have to MAKE myself to do it. I have a friend who comes over once a week to pig out and watch TV with me while our dogs play so now, the house gets a good cleaning once a week, but if it wasn't for that... psht. Who knows!

Paige
I"ll challenge you for worst housekeeper ever. I'd rather watch grass grow than lift a dust cloth. And spend more time thinking about how much I hate washing the floor than doing it. I have a neighbor who is a clean freak. She's always doing housework. And another neighbor who gave me a magnet that says "House work is evil. It must be stopped!" I'm doing my best to stop it.
And someone mentioned moving furniture to vacuum underneath??!! :p
I say let sleeping dust bunnies lie.

Wish I could catch that OCD thing and be motivated to clean a little bit.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I voted 'no' but really fall some where in the middle.

Originally Posted by emily_325

If I lived by myself I would be, but living with my husband I have given up.
I keep the stuff that just grates my nerves done such as dishes washed, food put away, bathroom cleaned, etc. But you will find that my husband's philosophy is, "Why put it away when you can just pile it up???"

I should really take you guys on a tour of his "droppings" as I call them. There's a costant pile on top of and on each side of the computer desk. The kitchen table has a pile of paperwork, a messenger bag, a leather jacket, AND -get this- a now very wrinkled suit, dress shirt, and tie where he came in from an event the other night and could not bear to wear it any longer. That one I'm testing him with and seeing how long it stays there before he puts it away or says, "Hun? Have you seen my grey suit??"

I swear....one of these days....
Emily- your hubby sounds just like Chad! I swear that boy has never heard of a garbage can
I love that you call them "droppings"
I am SO going to use that with Chad.... whatever he has in his hand ends up where ever he happens to be, regardless of where it belongs! Our house continuously looks like some sort of crazy one night stand- clothes are everywhere like they were thrown off in a serious fit of passion, except minus the girls clothing

Seriously though, on a daily basis I pick up, do the dishes, do laundry, make dinner, feed the animals, do the kitty litter.... There are nights I slack and don't do the dishes or don't do laundry but for the most part that is my evening, while Chad sits on the couch or works outside!
I feel like I could spend 3 hours a day picking up and it would never look any better because as soon as I'm done a tornado comes through and leaves their garbage all over again! Our house always looks messy because we have such dark carpet & Chad tracks so much crap in- we could easily vacuum every day but only do it 1-2 times a week....

Short version- I try!

Edit: I should add that Chad does pick up once in a while but I don't think he's heard of deep cleaning! He's also started vacuuming lately too... Although he does sit on his duff all evening. Apparently he thinks picking up should only be done once a week

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

Emily- your hubby sounds just like Chad! I swear that boy has never heard of a garbage can
... whatever he has in his hand ends up where ever he happens to be, regardless of where it belongs! Our house continuously looks like some sort of crazy one night stand- clothes are everywhere like they were thrown off in a serious fit of passion, except minus the girls clothing
There's TWO of them?!?
God help us...

Seriously though, in regards to the never hearing of a garbage can I can relate. My onepet peeve with him is he rips wrappers off of things like DVDs or whatever and just drops them wherever he happens to be at the time. OR ... worse than that ... he tosses it at the garbage can, misses, and doesn't bother to put it in.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuzy

I"ll challenge you for worst housekeeper ever. I'd rather watch grass grow than lift a dust cloth. And spend more time thinking about how much I hate washing the floor than doing it. I have a neighbor who is a clean freak. She's always doing housework. And another neighbor who gave me a magnet that says "House work is evil. It must be stopped!" I'm doing my best to stop it.
And someone mentioned moving furniture to vacuum underneath??!! :p
I say let sleeping dust bunnies lie.

Wish I could catch that OCD thing and be motivated to clean a little bit.
I'm very much like you with one exception: I DO have a bit of OCD and that's one reason why I CAN'T clean regularly - I get bogged down by the minutia and it takes me hours and hours and hours to clean even a portion of a room, because if I'm going to do it it has to be done RIGHT, which means PERFECTLY.

So I just don't. It's SO much easier on me this way.

By the way - I'm growing a big batch of cat grass. Wanna come over and watch it grow with me?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Clutter makes me tense so I NEED to be tidy. I think I'm somewhere in-between as well. My kitchen is always clean since I refuse to eat anything unless it is impeccably clean.

I dust the whole house every weekend, do a thorough throughout vacuuming every weekend and all the laundry, folding and ironing on the weekend, clean all the mirrors and any windows that look dirty. Throughout the week I usually clean the bathroom 2-3 times, cook a from scratch meal every night, do the dishes (the ones that I don't put in the dishwasher) and clean up the kitchen after dinner. I also sweep up a couple times during the week rather than pull the vacuum out (we have hardwood floors and only 2 small area rugs). Then if I have time left over I try to help John outside, for instance this weekend I raked and bagged the leaves while he was working on landscaping the driveway area.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

There's TWO of them?!?
God help us...

Seriously though, in regards to the never hearing of a garbage can I can relate. My onepet peeve with him is he rips wrappers off of things like DVDs or whatever and just drops them wherever he happens to be at the time. OR ... worse than that ... he tosses it at the garbage can, misses, and doesn't bother to put it in.
At our house we have a terrible, terrible problem with fruit snack wrappers & Reese's Peanut Butter Cup wrappers!

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I'm very much like you with one exception: I DO have a bit of OCD and that's one reason why I CAN'T clean regularly - I get bogged down by the minutia and it takes me hours and hours and hours to clean even a portion of a room, because if I'm going to do it it has to be done RIGHT, which means PERFECTLY.

By the way - I'm growing a big batch of cat grass. Wanna come over and watch it grow with me?
I'll be there. Although right now I'm busy watching the leaves fall down. I will rake when they're all down. That's the good thing about outdoor work. It stays done. If I shovel snow, the driveway stays clean til the next storm. If I clean the floor, it only stays clean til one of my two footed children gets home from school. They prefer it when I'm not in one of my very rare cleaning modes (once or twice a year max). Then they don't get yelled at (as much) for being their normally sloppy selves.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm messy... I know I am.. we try to clean up once a week,, and make it look nice, but it gets messy in a day... Lazyy I guess...

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I totally get that. There are no "simple, quick tasks" in Dubbie's home!
Like, I really should scrub the kitchen sink well. But, I didnt this w/e, b/c I would do the sink, then the counters, then all the cabinets, then the kitchen floor, then the baseboards - including using a toothbrush in the grooves that collect monster dirt - argh!

I have a small space...and I hear ppl say it only takes an hour or so to clean their entire place and it is the size of mine. I'm like, "How?" It takes an hour just to do my teeny tiny bathroom!

But, overall, my place is "OK". Clean and tidy are two different things to me, and I lean on the untidy side. I've gotten better over the years too. My first apt was 12x12 feet + a galley kitchen and bathroom. The floor would be covered with junk that you had to walk over - I was embarrassed when company stopped by.

I need to vacuum more though; I shed more than the cat, but she hates the noise so I tend to get behind constantly at vacuuming. I have piles of cat fur ground into my rugs.