Are you a blood donor? And if so...

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't donate blood but I do donate plasma. It is safe to donate twice a week. I have to wait a day in between. My DH and I go every Tuesday and Thursday morning. We do get paid for it, thats mostly why we do it, we are ablt to pay half our rent a month just from that. I have gotton to know the procedure very well and feel completely safe. There is a doctor on staff and a head RN, the rest of the employees are licenced in blood, I forget the name for it. The reason plasma can be done 2 times a week is because they run your blood through a centerfuge and remove the water(plasma) and then return your blood. You do feel dehydrated after words but other than that I usually feel rejuvanated. When it goes into the centerfuge it also goes through a filter, when the procedure is over if you look at the filter you can atually see the fat that has been removed from your blood. I don't know if its true but I have heard that regular donantions can lower you cholesterhol.
I also have learned that you need to eat a really healthy meal that is high in protein the night before. Also drink a ton of water and orange juice, it will make the draw faster. The only down side id I now have a small scare on my left arm from the needle. Its more like a whole but other than that I don't mind it at all.