Are we crazy cat ladies?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep changing the standards on what I consider the crazy mark. Way back when, I thought it was normal to have 5 or less cats. Years ago I surpassed that mark, so  I thought, ok, I'll have gone around the bend when I'm spending all of my free time tending to cats. After I reached that point, the criteria for craziness moved to lurking in the dark most of the night trying to trap a cat. Been there, done that many times. So... I started believing that I'm not crazy until I get the cops called on me as a suspicious person lurking in a dark parking lot in the wee hours of the morning because of cats. Do you see where this is going? Since then I have been unable to come up with anymore benchmarks so I just accept the fact that, yes, I am crazy.
You win. :lol3:

I wear the title proudly, actually. My friends say that I am a cool one though.

red thing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wear the title proudly, especially when people ask me for help, although  I knew I was approaching "crazy" when my husband offered to buy me a "black-ops" outfit for night trapping.  I declined but had a good laugh about it.

I do have a sign that says "we are one cat short of crazy here."
HAHA.  DH sounds cool.,

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep changing the standards on what I consider the crazy mark. Way back when, I thought it was normal to have 5 or less cats. Years ago I surpassed that mark, so  I thought, ok, I'll have gone around the bend when I'm spending all of my free time tending to cats. After I reached that point, the criteria for craziness moved to lurking in the dark most of the night trying to trap a cat. Been there, done that many times. So... I started believing that I'm not crazy until I get the cops called on me as a suspicious person lurking in a dark parking lot in the wee hours of the morning because of cats. Do you see where this is going? Since then I have been unable to come up with anymore benchmarks so I just accept the fact that, yes, I am crazy.
  Too funny!  You do "look" kind of suspicious!
  hehe

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... a "black-ops" outfit might be just the thing. Do they sell those funny-looking night goggles in stores? Who am I to talk about funny looking? I wear one of those headlamp things around my neck! Pretty sure I'm crazy and un-cool! 
 That is amazing!  Bet you felt great when the cops arrived!  
  :)  Did they offer to help out?     You deserve a Cat Site Award  for dedication to the catcrazy cause. 

The cops didn't offer to help, but they didn't arrest me, either. That's the wonderful thing about this site, I'll bet no one who reads this thread will shake their head and mumble about locking me up somewhere safe. Here, this is considered normal behavior! 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My good friend's husband made the remark that if he believed in reincarnation he would want to come back here and be one of my cats. :lol3:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My good friend's husband made the remark that if he believed in reincarnation he would want to come back here and be one of my cats.
What a lovely compliment! Though maybe your friend won't be too happy about it!!!  Just as well she's a good friend. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:flail: No one every called the cops on DH and I back in the day. But there's nothing like sitting in the rain trying to stay unobtrusive yet dry so you can pull the string on a drop trap for that one cat that just won't go in the trap....

We knew we were the crazy cat people when the vet started calling us to ask if we'd be able to help so-and-so who called about a feral or rescue kitty....

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never ever give up my cat Bella. I promise to always make sure she gets love,attention, food and taken to the vet for a check up. She is my family, my baby if you will. And Thunder is my husband's and he will take care of her.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yep... me, too... see here, that's what I've got running around officially:

Only two more are in the process of sneaking in. Good for me, right? Only my parents are coming to visit this summer, and they are not terribly supportive of being owned by more than 1 cat 

Problem is my next-door neighbors, who are perfectly nice people and took in lots of stray kitties, are neither concerned with hygiene nor with cat nutrition, so their place smells horrible. I can't blame their cats for not wanting to even come near one of their preciously few litter boxes (I did catsit for them for a couple days and was badly in need of a gas mask
). Anyone who knows them fears a home with 3+ cats will become something like that.

Then I'm happily feeding raw and whole prey
 (got half a rat sitting in my fridge right now - can you imagine how big they get?) which doesn't help with the crazy aspect in some people's minds. Although I can attest that my place doesn't smell.

But, does anyone out there have any insights on how to deal with the "accused of being crazy" aspect (or with concerned family)?

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I ran across a saying the other day that I am adopting as a reply when I am accused of being the crazy cat lady:

"I would rather be considered a crazy cat lady than to see an animal come to harm."

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
But, does anyone out there have any insights on how to deal with the "accused of being crazy" aspect (or with concerned family)?
Embrace the title and pretend you don't notice them whispering about you! You can get by with so much when your family thinks you're a little "touched".

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tell people I'm a crazy cat lady. I'm proud!!! I don't go on about cats to people who don't have them but I love to talk about them to people who are likewise cat crazy!! If I wasn't here everyday I think I would start randomly talking to anyone who would listen about my babies. I just love them :clap:

jaspers mummy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well everyone I know both family and friends they all call me the crazy cat lady and I love it I love my babies and given a the option I would rather curl up with them than have to talk to people there my babies they give me love day or night no bars just unconditional love 24 / 7 so if that makes me a crazy old cat lady bring it on lol

My Sir Bastian he's still a bubby I was going to post a pick of Boots but there all on my phone darn will post later :)

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my whole neighborhood knows that i'm the crazy cat lady. every time i go anywhere around here i have 1 or 2 of the neighbor's cats following me