Are We Being Selfish?

Jacqualyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I recently rescued/adopted two 6 month old sisters, Daenerys & Khaleesi. Daenerys was put down today due to having FIP. Khaleesi shows no signs of it so far. When we adopted, we were set on getting two kittens so that they could keep each other company and these two fit the bill perfectly. Complete sweethearts through & through. I feel like Khaleesi is depressed or going to be depressed after losing her sister. It's been less than 24 hours, but she is roaming around our home meowing and seems at a loss. Will she recover from this? We were also talking about getting another kitten to keep her company, but now I'm worried that she won't like it, completely ignore it or fight it off. We don't want to wait too long as it will be harder to introduce new animals the older she gets. She may get confused if a different kitten is brought into the house. Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jacqualyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Khaleesi is on the left & Daenerys is on the right of course.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful pair of jewels!

My personal opinion is to wait on a few days or weeks.
If FIP is in the house, you should not adopt another kitten before you made sure there's no risk for the new kitten. You don't know it yet if Khaleesi is fine. I truly hope so, but we are not sure as yet.

Six months is a young age, I don't think there will be any problem if you introduce another kitten in Khaleesi's life even if she's a bit older.

I'm sorry for the loss of your beautiful Daenerys :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes about two weeks for the loss to be worked through, I've seen it many times with mamas when the babies are taken from her. A new kitten would be a welcome distraction. My advice is to get one with the same temperment, you don't want a shy, withdrawn kitten paired with a bold aggressive one. Younger kittens are more readily accepted.
My heart goes out to you, to lose one so young to such a horrible disease is soul crushing. You will be blessed for showing that little girl what love and a nice home was so it may comfort her in her eternal slumber. Daenerys will always have a special place in your heart, she will never be forgotten. She took a piece of your heart when she left, but she left a piece of hers behind to thank you for your love and to be near to her sister. It doesn't take long for them to worm their way into our hearts, where they will be held securely for evermore. Cling to each other for comfort, it helps to have others who understand to share your pain. Remember she would never want to bring such pain to those she left behind, she only wants happiness and sunshine for those she holds so dear, just as you would want for her if your were the first to go.
I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, please keep us posted on how you are all doing, and when you bring taht new love into your home. Take care...... RIP sweet Daenerys. You will never be forgotten, you will be forever loved. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Daenerys, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

Bless her, she will recover and adapt, but I know a friend would be lovely for her. As Antonio65 Antonio65 mentioned, you want to make sure that Khaleesi is healthy and your home is safe for a new kitten, but don't fret...we can, if necessary, walk you through an introduction when the time is right.

My heart is with yours.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Jacqualyn and welcome here !

Khaleesi misses her sister and, if you "feel like" she's depressed, I think you're reading her non-verbals, and she most probably is sad and lonely. She has no understanding of what's happened, so she searches and calls out to her. That's what she's learned to do and it's always worked in the past.......

Not long ago, there was an piece in a veterinary blog written by a Vet Tech who had lost one of her two dogs, that spoke to the need to pay attention to and act on this for surviving siblings. It details the things she tried, the mistakes she made and the lessons she learned.

I'll share it with you....for a careful read before you take any missteps. Pay attention to the fine points of what she ended up doing with toys etc. and her thoughts about a 'replacement' dog.

Here you are Helping Your Dog Understand the Loss of Their Canine Companion | petMD

I believe that our cats' reactions can be/are different if they witness the death and have a period of time to be around, to confirm and absorb it. A few months ago, my little white shadow died suddenly overnight in the presence of his two 'brothers'. I discovered him the following morning and all three of us spent the next several hours in his undisturbed presence allowing the reality to settle in. One of them was very connected with him - that cat has displayed none of the searching behaviours typical in bereavement. I have given him lots of special attention, though, and he is now much closer to me than before.

I hope this will help.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I second @antonio on the matter of safe environment. Health comes first.

I guess your vet may advise you on this issue, perhaps after having a look on Khaleesi.

Seeing Khaleesi meawing around - I imagine you feelings. And the cat's ones.

Be my tears comforting Daenerys' sleep!

Concerning a second cat, in my very personal opinion, you may just attempt to bring one and see what the things will develop during few days.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with Antonio. Make sure the other cat is healthy and the home is safe. I think you should get another kitty. Aww...I am so sorry for your loss. They are both such lovely kitties and are lucky to have your loving care. I'm sure you have room in your heart and home for another lucky cat.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My personal opinion is to wait on a few days or weeks.
If FIP is in the house, you should not adopt another kitten before you made sure there's no risk for the new kitten. You don't know it yet if Khaleesi is fine. I truly hope so, but we are not sure as yet.
I am also in agreement with Antonio's advice. We had to put a young cat to sleep from FIP as well and had another cat in the house at the time. I spoke with our vet and followed her instructions. Please check with your vet first.

My heart goes out to Khaleesi, your husband and you. :hugs: A loss like this is never easy. May you treasure the wonderful memories of Daenerys. RIP sweet angel. :angel: