Are they playing or not??

dgirlpt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all

I have 2 female cats. One is Becka is a maine coon with 8 months and then addopt Olivia (the grey one) with 1 year old, they both spayed. they been together from almost 2 months. Not sure if i can go to the next step, if they can be together with supervision. when we are not home we closed the door, but when we are they behavior can see in videos. No hissing, no groling, nothing.. So do you think they are playing form the videos ot not?

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Playing. Without sound, I wasn't 100% sure until the second video which is very clearly play. On re-read I see no sound referenced, which was my expectation after the videos. These cats are ready.

Cats this age play rough as heck. Strap in and get ready. Maybe watch some videos of cats wrestling so you know what it looks like. Just remember, real cat fights are noisy. Growling and hissing alone doesn't mean much, but cat fights have at least those, and also generally wailing and yowling. They are rarely silent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dgirlpt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Playing. Without sound, I wasn't 100% sure until the second video which is very clearly play. On re-read I see no sound referenced, which was my expectation after the videos. These cats are ready.

Cats this age play rough as heck. Strap in and get ready. Maybe watch some videos of cats wrestling so you know what it looks like. Just remember, real cat fights are noisy. Growling and hissing alone doesn't mean much, but cat fights have at least those, and also generally wailing and yowling. They are rarely silent.
no growling no hissing. But the Maine coon is very stubborn and a very very active and playfull kitten. My fear is that Olivia (the grey one) get upset with such much energy

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no growling no hissing. But the Maine coon is very stubborn and a very very active and playfull kitten. My fear is that Olivia (the grey one) get upset with such much energy
Activity mismatches are super common. With older cats, they can be quite problematic. But these cats are young enough, they will be friends. You will do them no favor by waiting longer.

If the less active one ends play first ever time and hisses/runs off, thats totally fine. She will still play some the next time. Thats a friendship, just not a 100% equal one. Thats how it goes. I've got a 12 pound and 9 pound cat now. And that is how it goes, EVERY time. The smaller cat disengages. Maybe makes a protest noise. But they are friends.

In an ideal world, every cat pair would be the same size and same activity level. But we live in the real one, so some friendships have a dynamic like this. Its normal, and they can truly still be friends.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Activity mismatches are super common. With older cats, they can be quite problematic. But these cats are young enough, they will be friends. You will do them no favor by waiting longer.

If the less active one ends play first ever time and hisses/runs off, thats totally fine. She will still play some the next time. Thats a friendship, just not a 100% equal one. Thats how it goes. I've got a 12 pound and 9 pound cat now. And that is how it goes, EVERY time. The smaller cat disengages. Maybe makes a protest noise. But they are friends.

In an ideal world, every cat pair would be the same size and same activity level. But we live in the real one, so some friendships have a dynamic like this. Its normal, and they can truly still be friends.
:yeah: Magnus is smaller than Calcifer and if Cal gets too rough he will hiss and run off. Doesn't stop Magnus from going over and initiating play an hour later.

It's very important that I use a wrestle toy with Calcifer at some point in the day like a kicker or woolen ball because he gets all this wrestle energy pent up. Magnus does have a higher energy level than the other boys but without having that human play time, Cal just gets too rough with his brothers.

So all that to say you will find what works for you, your cats and your home :)