Are they fighting or just playing

west123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi im new in this site , and id like to get some help from you. my two cats are always running after each other and sometimes jump on each other and bite , i have a female turkish angora she is quiet stronger than the male cat that i had 5 month ago ( he is a main coon) and i think he is 11 month old right now , i think he is trying to mate with here but it never works ( we brought 2 cats before him to mate with her but also didnt work the male arent beating her she is too aggressive). i know some of you would advice me to sterilize her but i dont want i like my cat a lot and i dont want her to get sterilized . Plz give an advice to stop the fighting thing. :) sorry for my bad grammar im not really good at english.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you said you don't want to sterilize her, but keeping an intact female in the same house as an unneutered tomcat will result in lots of fights, especially if the female refuses to be bred. One cat trying to mate with another and being met with resistance is going to look like a cat fight, because it basically is.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Rad.  Besides, it is quite stressing on them both!

If you do REALLY want to have a litter, and know you have good places for the kittens etc, etc,

fine, go ahead.  Plan on it.

But to just keeping your cats fertile, because you dont want to spay/neuter - not the best.

Said this, some cats do manage to be fertile without feeling badly, spraying, getting neurotic or anything. Surely this happens once in a while.  But while have this burden on them?  It is much easier for EVERYBODY if they are S/N.

Believe me, they will appreciate to be neutered. I know, I had tried both variations.

And to your question:  I dont think they fight for real - you would know for sure if they fought for real.

But Im not sure it is just a rough wrestlings matches plays.  Being male and female, they are serious, although it is not for life and death.  but probably not play no.

Good luck!

ps. Welcome to the TCS site and our Forums!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

west123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thx a lot for replying, i think i will N/S here soon.Ok just 1 question here , my friend S/N her cat with same vet of my cat, she S/N and remove her cats nail between 66 and 100 $ in the pets hospital , ok so do i spay my cat + remove her nails   because my cat is really too hard to cut her nails and she s aggressive , if u try to cut her nails you will have bloody hands , i usally do it when she is sleeping but i get bite too. Iv seen on the internet that it give some problems to the cat to not have nails, so in my case do i remove her nails or no?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why on earth would you want to mate a Maine Coon with a Turkish Angora?

Please get them all neutered, but to NOT declaw them.  That is cruel and painful for the cat.  Most cats never need their claws trimming even if they are indoor only.  Some do as they get older, but your cats are young.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also say no to getting a declaw. Lots of vets throw that in with neutering/spaying and most people don't even think about it, they just check the 'yes' box and end up with a problematic cat after that.

Believe me, you would MUCH rather have a cat scratch you than have a cat bite you. Cat bites are horribly deep and get infected somewhere along the lines of 100 times out of 100 (hyperbole, but just barely). When you declaw a cat, you are taking away its ability to defend itself using claws, so the bite reflex comes out in full force. You'll be dreaming of the days when you only got scratched if you have a declawed cat sinking its teeth into your hand/arm. Also, litterbox issues arise much more frequently due to cats not liking to dig in the litter without claws. This can lead to improper elimination, usually just outside the litterbox to prove their point. Another downside to declaws is that cats usually walk on the joint that gets removed during the declaw, so they have to learn how to walk in a completely different way, which is stressful to say the least.

Some people never deal with most of those problems, but the fact is that you are removing their defenses and most cats abhor that. I also think a cat who is already liberal with the scratches and bites is going to become a biting machine if those claws are taken away.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
because my cat is really too hard to cut her nails and she s aggressive , if u try to cut her nails you will have bloody hands , i usally do it when she is sleeping but i get bite too. Iv seen on the internet that it give some problems to the cat to not have nails, so in my case do i remove her nails or no?
NO, do NOT declaw her. Our site is STRONGLY against it.  

And I do forbide it, in the name of the Cat.

If you want to trim her nails, but it is difficult for you to trim her nails, there are several different tricks.  One of them is to wrap her in some thick towel. Being wrapped up and helpless, they do resign and cool down.  :)

It doesnt even take of them their dignity, having a toga like a Rome senator!   :)

In the Ferals forum there are several forumists who use blindfolds on the cat, if they must do something touchy.  I know some veterinarians do it so too...  How to do it Im not sure, I imagine the easiest is to have a small children cap, covering top of the head and eyes, but not the nose.

Or to be two, one holding, one clipping.  If necessary taking a hold by the neck, the scruff.  Held by scruff they usually do resign too.

Last, but not least, there is the so called soft paws.  It is a sort of plastic nails, which you can set on the nails with an adhesive.  They who tried says it works OK.

Not necessarily what I do recommend, but of course much less badly than declawing.

Good luck!

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi im new in this site , and id like to get some help from you. my two cats are always running after each other and sometimes jump on each other and bite , i have a female turkish angora she is quiet stronger than the male cat that i had 5 month ago ( he is a main coon) and i think he is 11 month old right now , i think he is trying to mate with here but it never works ( we brought 2 cats before him to mate with her but also didnt work the male arent beating her she is too aggressive). i know some of you would advice me to sterilize her but i dont want i like my cat a lot and i dont want her to get sterilized . Plz give an advice to stop the fighting thing. :) sorry for my bad grammar im not really good at english.
First off, even if you don't want to get your cats sterilized, it is best for them in the long run healthwise and for you.  Just because you don't think he has gotten her or can't do it right, doesn't mean he hasn't or won't figure it out eventually.  Then you end up with a bunch of kittens that you don't need or want.   

Healthwise, if you do not sterilize them, it runs the risk (for her) of mammary tumors, false pregnancies, uterine infections, and reproductive cancers.  Also, Spaying or neutering your cat prevents unwanted births and reduces the influence of sex hormones on your pet's behavior. In seven years, an unspayed female and unneutered male cat can produce up to 781,250 kittens. Homes cannot be found for most of these animals and many either end up in shelters or on the street. Only a lucky few are adopted; the rest are either euthanized or die from trauma, exposure, starvation or disease. By spaying or neutering your cat, you do your part to prevent this tragedy.

Behavior problems can also be prevented or minimized by spaying or neutering your cat. Sexual behavior in both male and female cats is reduced following surgery. In 90% of male cats, neutering eliminated roaming, urine spraying, and fights with neighborhood cats, regardless of their age when neutered. Female cats no longer show "heat" behavior (soliciting mounting from males). Overall, being sexually intact increases the risk of relinquishment to a shelter. There are, however, large individual differences and not all cats undergo a behavior change following spaying or neutering.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By the way, your vet will trim your cats claws for a small fee. We don't mind our cat having his untrimmed, he is well behaved for the most part and hardly ever uses them on us, or anything he isn't supposed to. However, there is a point where we can tell they are too long, and for the few dollars it costs us, we prefer to let the professionals handle it.

If it wasn't for Tapatalk I'd probably be doing something more useful right now.

Last edited: