Are these two cats a similar breed?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is kinda hard to tell but one is for sure tortoiseshell long hair (the one with just one photo). The lighting is bad for the other one to be sure, if you can post a photo that isn't backlit that would help. At a guess I am going with either smoke or pointed depending on the eye color and how the coloring plays out on the rest of the body in better lighting... but leaning more towards a smoke. But those are just color patterns and don't have much bearing on a breed. 

As to breed, they are both very lovely domestic long hair . Essentially, long haired cats of no determinate breed. Most cats are domestic long/short hair as the cat gene pool is very diverse and there are very few cats out there that are purebred or even half bred. Since most of what we now consider specific breeds arose from naturally occurring color patterns and isolated populations it isn't unusual to find specific traits that lean towards one breed or another without having actual relation to anything that is documented purebred. Unfortunately, long hair breeds are not my strong point so I can't make any real educated guesses as if they have any similarities to a particular breed. But without documentation of them being related to a purebred even guessing at a breed they come from will only be guessing and won't make them that breed. And, as I said, traits can be naturally occurring without any real connection to the breed. Doesn't mean it isn't fun to guess but there may not be a firm answer. 

Hopefully someone else on here can give you a better guess at a breed they share traits with. 

Last edited:

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my what beautiful kitties!!!  I'm not big on breeds....but the 1st one looks like part pretty Himalayan, the second one is just flat out gorgeous!  What a pretty set of babies!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are longhair, they are smoke - that is why they looks so fancy, almost alike some sorts points.  Its common smoke cats gets a lighter neck

They seems to be some sort of  persians.  Not modern show type persians, sooner old type persians, or doll face persians.

Gorgous in their way.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Stefanz that they are Persian in type. I would not say they are smoke Persians though unless the undercoat is white. To me (and I am not expert on colors other than my own silver and golden) they look more like a tortie. Are they both female?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The pics arent terribly good, especielly lefty isnt clear. But I must confess, taking one more look, righty seems sooner some sort of tortie than typical smoke.

This very long fur makes the markings etc less distinctive...  I was in a too great haste when answering.

Tx Posiepurrs for this observation.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
They have the most gorgeous faces....I love the tortie!!  What sweet faces

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicole12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they are both girls and Claire which is the grey one has a white and very thick undercoat