Are these ticks?

nolifemark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, new member here. I took my cat to the vet yesterday for a check up and he came out fine 100%, nothing wrong with him at all. Anyway, I brought up with the vet that I am seeing these bugs around the apartment that I suspected were ticks. She didn't seem to think they were for some reason, maybe it was the way I was describing them. So I took a picture, and I figured I'd get some advice from the pros over here. I always viewed this website, so I figure no better reason than this to finally sign up and ask some questions. Sidenote, my cat has been on revolution for the last year, if that matters or not.

Here is the alleged tick that I am seeing around the apartment, ranging from 1 or 2 a day to 3 climbing up the walls:

Thank you for taking the time to help me out in the matter. If it isn't a tick, what is it, are me and my cat safe?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hello, new member here. I took my cat to the vet yesterday for a check up and he came out fine 100%, nothing wrong with him at all. Anyway, I brought up with the vet that I am seeing these bugs around the apartment that I suspected were ticks. She didn't seem to think they were for some reason, maybe it was the way I was describing them. So I took a picture, and I figured I'd get some advice from the pros over here. I always viewed this website, so I figure no better reason than this to finally sign up and ask some questions. Sidenote, my cat has been on revolution for the last year, if that matters or not.

Here is the alleged tick that I am seeing around the apartment, ranging from 1 or 2 a day to 3 climbing up the walls:

Thank you for taking the time to help me out in the matter. If it isn't a tick, what is it, are me and my cat safe?
Ticks have 8 legs, not 6, and they don't have antenna.  See https://www.google.com/search?q=tic...hMI2abqtfyKyAIVg_2ACh2dJQRN&biw=1506&bih=1075

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in the country (Mid-west U.S.) and this looks like an ordinary ground beetle to me (there are many different types) - not a stink bug. 

They aren't dangerous to humans and don't carry diseases. The can bite, but rarely ever do; they are non-poisonous. You usually find them outdoors in the yard or garden (under woodpiles, stones, and in fallen trees) eating other insects, but they do get indoors sometimes, especially at night, because they are drawn to the light. Unfortunately, they do seek a warmer environment in the Fall and Winter, so this is the time of year you will find them in your house.  You might be able to deter them by using those sodium vapor yellow light bulbs in your outdoor lights because, as I said, they are attracted to light and a porch light will lure them closer to your house and doors where they sneak in.

They are not easy to get rid of because they have a thick skin and hard shell-like armor of protection which resists most pesticides. If you have them in your home now and they are brazen enough to be crawling a round in broad daylight, then you probably have an infestation somewhere. There are "Do-It-Yourself" remedies, but they are a pain in the butt and rarely work effectively. Your best bet is to call an exterminator, or just put up with them until Spring when they move back outdoors. 

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nolifemark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the help guys.