Are these recipes balanced? (raw)

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recipe 1, Chunks, for 2 cats, amount adjusted to their daily intake:

Chicken wing or Neck or feet
Chicken thigh meat only - thighs used for bone broth, added in 3-4 days a week (can cats eat the skin?)
Chicken Heart
Chicken Liver
Chicken kidney
Chicken breast as a topper

Recipe 2, Chunks, for 2 cats, amount adjusted to their daily intake:

Duck wings or feet
Chicken or duck thigh meat (whichever is available)
Lamb or duck heart (whichever is available)
Chicken liver (Replaced with duck / lamb / freeze dried beef liver if any are available - most commonly freeze dried beef liver)
Chicken or duck kidney (sometimes lamb)
Chicken breast as a topper

Recipe 3, Chunks, for 2 cats, amount adjusted to their daily intake:

Rabbit front feet or ribs
Chicken muscle meat or rabbit if available
Chicken or rabbit heart
Rabbit or lamb liver (replaced with chicken liver if unavailable)
Chicken or rabbit kidney (Replaced with lamb liver or beef liver if that is available)
Freeze dried treats as topper (Covers smell of rabbit)

Recipe 4, whole prey + organ (No supplements added - occasional meal):

Feeder mice + any leftover organ from prep + any hemoglobin left on tray after prep.
(Is whole prey a complete balanced meal?)

Daily supplements added to recipes 1,2, and 3:

- (added in later to 1 of their 3 meals):
Kelp powder (occasionally replaced with dried seaweed if i get any for myself)
Salmon oil
Vitamin e
Zinc
Manganese
Iron
Vitamin d one day, chicken, duck, or quail egg yolk the other (no eggshell bc im lowkey afraid of the calcium to phosphorous ratio)

I will buy the supplements from iherb, could someone send me a link to good quality ones that are available on iherb?

Questions:
- Are my recipes balanced?
- Do i need to add any other supplements?
- Are there any better alternatives to the supplements? (Organ that covers the nutritional gap, whole foods that cats can digest and receive most if not all the benefits?)
- Can i use freeze-dried organs to replace the raw organs when needed? (+added water due to lack of moisture)
-How can i balance a raw and canned food diet? (For a slow transition, for both me, my family and my cats)
-What can i use for the lack of fiber in the diet?
-What supplements do i have to add daily? What supplements do i not need to add daily?
- Do my cats need probiotics to be fed alongside a raw diet?
- One of my cats loves raw (as of right now she gets them as a meal booster / treat / occasional meal), the other tries to eat it but drops it after a couple seconds, does he not like the taste or should i feed ground raw? (I personally want to feed chunks, its easier for me)
- What vitamin B's should i add?
- Does anyone have a spreadsheet that i can use to determine the nutritional makeup of each recipe? (My mum does want to pay for the raw fed and nerdy spreadsheet)

If im missing something or if you have any information on how to add supplements / balance a diet please let me know

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Kelp is a poor source of iodine as iodine content can vary so much, though some companies do batch test iodine content, which is fine. I’d suggest lite iodized salt, instead. You can sub most of these things, except vitamin e and iodine, with a mix of eggs, whole prey, and some seafood, like GLM. Also keep in mind that most fish oil uses vitamin e as a preservative, so don’t overdo it.
More info here

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kelp is a poor source of iodine as iodine content can vary so much, though some companies do batch test iodine content, which is fine. I’d suggest lite iodized salt, instead. You can sub most of these things, except vitamin e and iodine, with a mix of eggs, whole prey, and some seafood, like GLM. Also keep in mind that most fish oil uses vitamin e as a preservative, so don’t overdo it.
More info here
[/URL]
Thank you, wouldnt lite iodized salt increase the sodium content though? would that affect cats long term? Its difficult to get glm and pet safe green tripe here, can i use Now Foods, Liquid Magnesium with Trace Minerals, 400 mg Magnesium per 3 servings, Ionic trace minerals?

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What nutrients/supplements can i balance through the week? what nutrients/supplements should i include everyday?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
You may want to join the Feline Nutrition FB group. They have a lot of pre-written resources for fully homemade recipes. I’ll be able to look things over when I have more time, but FN has a lot of knowledgeable people who’ll probably be able to get back to you more quickly than I can.
As a quick summary on things I don’t need to double check, lite iodized salt is low sodium and you use a tiny amount, and you want to add all supplements except vitamin e and omega straight to your batch so your cats get it every meal. I add fish oil preserved with vitamin e (tocepherol) in larger amounts a couple times a week straight before feeding a meal.

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!