Are these purebred Siamese?

samalto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just got these kittens a few weeks ago, they were born on March 1st. I was told by the breeder that they're purebred Siamese. Problem is, I've never seen such a fluffy Siamese (that's the girl) and the little boy has a white tipped right hind foot, which again, I don't believe is typical of the breed? One of the kittens from the same litter had a kink in its tail though, which I read is a common Siamese trait, though no longer sought after. These two are from the same litter but I'm wondering if there's a chance they're full Siamese? If not, what are they? They're definitely not wedge head Siamese, and have very nice "cooing" sounds and cute little meows.

Thanks in advance! These kittens are changing my life for the better!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do look like Siamese but they do not have the long,lean clean look of the breed. They do look to be mixed with something but with what, I don't really know. I doubt you'll ever know unless you can run a DNA breed profiling test, which is done on dogs, not sure if such a thing is for cats. They are very pretty. They do resemble snowshoes with the furriness of them and the other one with the single white foot. Possibly Siamese/Snowshoe mix? 

I did find it for cats, here is the link if you're interested. http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/cat/ancestry/faq.php#2

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens as young can still change their fur somewhat.   But if this fur lengh we see is representative,  I would call them sooner for balinese -look alike, ie essentially, semi-longhaired (mediumhaired) siameses.   And balineses tend to not have the muzzle so much prolonged as modern siameses,  They are somewhat between old type siamese and modern siamese.

That white sock would be of course a fault in a show grade siamese - taking away from him possibility to get any higher title - champion title barely accessible, I would guess,  IF he is really good otherwise.

But of course, far from all born purebreds are of show quality.    I understand you didnt got the certifikates and pedigree papers with you?  European breeders send almost always the pedigree with the cat, even if sold for reduced price as pet quality.  But in the USA as I understand it, its quite common pet quality dont get their pedigree papers with them.  And thus - the owner never knows with absolute certainity what he got....

Technically, its not difficult at all to get  old type siamese - look alike.   Its enough both parents are carriers of the  point gene, and voilá!  in that litter there will be one or two pointed kittens - often look alikes of old type siamese...

This hppens now and then among Russian Blue - as they used some blue point siameses way back 60 years ago, in the breeding programmes.

This is quite common among moggies of our days...

Without papers, or other solid proofs, you never know for sure.

They are very black in the points already now.  Even the fur had began to be grayish.  So they are Seal points, and will be darker and darker with time, these her will prob get dark brown in body  before they  are senior citizens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samalto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your help and input. It is pretty tough to tell but I'm so curious to know what they are. I guess the DNA test is the only sure way to ever know