Are there other types of litter?

vitaturtle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been using precious cat ultra litter for a quite a while now and I just recently read up on alternative litters like Worlds Best Cat Litter. I have a few questions about it before I switch over. I could't find much online, and I would appreciate your feedback. I was wondering if clumping litter causes problems in cats ages 1 and up. Do you recommend other brands and why? I don't really care if I have a bad smelling house as long as its the best option for my cat. In addition, I heard that Worlds Best Cat Litter customers had problems with mold and bugs, was this an issue for you? Thank you.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of clumping litter causing any problems for cats 1 and up (or honestly under that age either). I use World's Best right now, and I like it very much. It's flushable! (Note: flushing waste is not advisable if your cat could have toxoplasmosis, which can be harmful to wildlife.) And my cat seems to like it too. It doesn't clump quite as well as clay litters because it is biodegradable, but it works just fine for me. My cat is pretty good about not walking around in her litter box and breaking up clumps. I do not have a problem with mold, but I scoop the litter at least daily and I live in Michigan, which is a pretty low humidity area. Every litter has its pros and cons, and it depends on a lot of factors what is going to work best for you and your cat. I've used the crystal litter from Precious Cat before and I loved it, but for my current cat has had litter box avoidance issues for a couple reasons and I want to make sure her litter box is as comfortable and inviting as possible.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've been using precious cat ultra litter for a quite a while now and I just recently read up on alternative litters like Worlds Best Cat Litter. I have a few questions about it before I switch over. I could't find much online, and I would appreciate your feedback. I was wondering if clumping litter causes problems in cats ages 1 and up. Do you recommend other brands and why? I don't really care if I have a bad smelling house as long as its the best option for my cat. In addition, I heard that Worlds Best Cat Litter customers had problems with mold and bugs, was this an issue for you? Thank you.
I used World's Best for a while and stopped using it. I found that the odor control was marginal at best and the clumping wasn't impressive. It's also expensive. No mold or bug issues although I have heard about that too. I'm in Florida which might be the mold & bug capital of America. 

Right now I am using Tidy Cats lightweight, Fresh Step Extreme lightweight and I also have Tidy Cats with Glade and 24/7. I bought a box of Swheat Scoop at Target but that has not been used yet. I have 5 litter boxes for 3 cats so I go through a lot of litter. My favorite is a tie between the TC lightweight and the Fresh Step Extreme. The FSE might win that by a hair. Clumps like a champ and odor control is fantastic. I scoop daily and do a full dump/scrub/refill of all boxes monthly. 

If you are looking for a non clay litter and you have a Tractor Supply Company near you, many people swear by the pine pellet horse bedding they sell. You can get a 40 pound bag for $6.00. If you read the reviews, most are from people who use them as cat litter

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/equine-fresh-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb?cm_vc=-10005

I have 3 cats over the age of 1 and they are doing great with clumping litter.