Are there other men cat lovers out there??

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
What beautiful cats, Lukey!

I'd like to thank you all for sharing your stories....you're all great, wonderful guys!

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to say that you guys are great for adopting kitties and loving and taking care of them.  It's one of the things that made me fall in love with the man I'm dating, he has three kitties and shows so much love for them, it's unbelievable.  Thanks for sharing your stories and pictures.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I want to say that you guys are great for adopting kitties and loving and taking care of them.  It's one of the things that made me fall in love with the man I'm dating, he has three kitties and shows so much love for them, it's unbelievable.  Thanks for sharing your stories and pictures.
:yeah: Well Said!...:clap:

whaler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quote:

In the animal group I volunteered last year, there was only one male cat lover and he was gay. It is my impression that straight men don't like to be known openly as cat lovers. Blame it on society.

That's the problem. I think I'd even go so far as to say that there is a stigma attached to being a straight male with cats. This has caused me over the last year to deal with some awkward moments. I love my furballs to pieces, and I'm not ashamed to say that - BUT - I feel like whenever I would mention that I have cats to my law school classmates, they would either label me as:

1) Homosexual

or

2) Weird (for having cats - I'm not saying that it's weird to be homosexual)

People are too quick to jump to conclusions about me - and anyone really.
You are absolutely right about most people jumping to conclusions about men and cats but in my experience I have always judged a man or potential date or boyfriend by bringing him to my house and seeing how he interacts with my cats :lol:
If my cats liked him then I knew there could be a chance, if they didn't, it was adios to him!  I know that may be silly but I could never see myself with someone who didn't get along with and love my fur babies too.   Cats are an amazing judge of character!
My father has never really loved cats "he tolerates them because my mom loves them" but cats love him and will climb on him and want to sit next to him even though he ignores them.  They can just tell that he is a good person and they enjoy being around him. 

I have a lot of male friends who love cats "one just joined the site" and they are very manly. 

On a humorous note I have a male friend who has a shirt that says "My cat makes me happy, you... not so much"  :rofl:

you are correct that many folks do jump to that conclusion, god knows i have seen it when people hear how much i love cats and that i do tnr. rarely if ever will anyone come out and say it but it is easy to see what they are thinking. me, i could care less what people think since i love my cats way more than i like the vast majority of people.

definitely getting one of those shirts for myself!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't read thru all the entries. I didn't have to. It's not a surprise to me that manly men like myself love cats.

NY Times articel on men and cats.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/05/fashion/05cats.html
This line of thinking does not surprise cat lovers, many of whom believe that only pillars of virility and masculinity would dare to own one."

"
Good artical, Now I just have to find one!! 

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One what, a guy who likes cats?

I was visiting our vet one time, checking on the cat the shelter had up there.  Another customer and I were standing there, taking turns holding him and petting him, etc.  One of the ladies behind the desk said she should take a picture; it might be the first time she had ever seen two men admit to each other that they loved cats!

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when i first met my hubby 20 years ago he said 'cats what good are they?' well now we have 10.

this is a very funny video re: guys and cats. it's the "engineers guide to cats"

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One what, a guy who likes cats?

I was visiting our vet one time, checking on the cat the shelter had up there.  Another customer and I were standing there, taking turns holding him and petting him, etc.  One of the ladies behind the desk said she should take a picture; it might be the first time she had ever seen two men admit to each other that they loved cats!

YUP!! 

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband is also a cat person.  He had cats in his life before we met each other.  He really took the time to get to know my cats when we combined our households. He has really helped me to move forward with my life when we have lost members of our fur family due to health issues.  We both believe in paying it forward by giving a loving home to a new kitty when we lose a member of our household.  He had never been a parent to a young kitten before.  When he met Starbuck after a friend's family member rescued her he wanted to bring her home right away.  We both felt my baby who had passed away about 3 years ago had sent Starbuck to us.  She is my hubby's baby.  She will come to me for attention sometimes when he is not home but prefers him.

When Claude passed away due to a stroke my hubby was in tears just as much as I was.  Although Claude had been with me since he was a baby he really seemed to think he was my hubby's doggy. He would greet him at the door everyday and slept next to him in bed every night.  Claude's brother Tegato has always been more bonded with me but when he was walking around meowing looking for my cat Baby T when she passed away my hubby went out of his way to give Tegato extra attention.  He would follow him around talking to him when I was at work. Tegato as he has aged has bonded more with my hubby and now kisses him goodnight when we go to bed.

When we adopted Sonny after we lost Claude he formed a really strong bond with me.  My hubby had just lost his buddy and gave Sonny as much time with me as he wanted.  When I went back to work full-time after being unemployed for a while Sonny really started to bond with my hubby.  He will now visit my hubby when we are both home.

Tegato is starting to show his age more now and it is beginning to scare me a little.  He is very bonded to both Starbuck and Sonny.  He took on the role of daddy when we adopted Starbuck because she needed to learn boundaries.  She was separated from mommy and her litter mates way too young and abandonned.  He also was very welcoming with Sonny when we adopted him almost 3 years ago.  Last weekend my hubby asked if I wanted to adopt a kitten because he knows how hard it will be for me when Tegato does cross the bridge.  (Tegato has been vet checked recently and is healthy but declining due to age.)  Tegato really enjoyed helping to raise Starbuck so we decided that maybe he would enjoy it again.  We worked with a rescue and adopted a 5 month old male kitten that is very laid back.  Tegato does enjoy lounging with the new baby.  The baby hangs out with him and is not trying to get him to play.  Tegato seems happier and more mobile since we adopted Apollo last Saturday.

I am hoping to get some pictures of Apollo this weekend.  He is settling in well but is hard to take pictures of because he will not sit still when he sees the camera.  I guess I am going to have to try to get some sleepy pics of him.

elvedee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend loves and dotes on my cat, and has his own cat! And my cat adores him :) It is, however, unlikely that he would jump on a cat forum hehe

catclan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My brother is a cat lover, and he's straight as far as I know. It bothered me a lot growing up, actually, since the kitten that five-year-old me picked out of a litter grew to love my brother more than she loved me. Jealous! To this day, my brother has more cat mojo than I do, and I am not ungifted there. :lol3: And he doesn't even have any cats right now! He does help out with my TNR stuff and gets sat on by my cats when he visits. They won't all fit on his lap at once, so some of them settle for me. :lol:

I would also like to applaud Lukey on beautiful photos of beautiful cats! The fellow sitting on the green carpet looks a lot like my Fire.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when i first met my hubby 20 years ago he said 'cats what good are they?' well now we have 10.

this is a very funny video re: guys and cats. it's the "engineers guide to cats"
LOVED this xDD :lol3:

My friend is a HUGE cat lover. He's got Tom-Tom and Krum at home and Licorice back in Hungary that is his heart-kitty. For the longest time, he wouldn't let the two at home sleep with him, because he felt like that was almost 'cheating' on Licorice.

My other friend shared a cat with his roommate, but the kitten died about a month ago. My friend was visibly shaken the week that it happened, and his roommate still hasn't gotten over it.

Lots of cat loving men out there.. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimanuel12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
when our cat Penelope died, my wife and i both cried our eyes out.  we had that cat for almost 18 years.

jhonnie042

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted two cats.  I've never had one n=and have been a dog lover and owner many years.  When dropping off some donations to the local no-kill shelter, an orange tabby made eye contact and followed me that way all over the room.  I was hooked.  Going back two weeks later to complete the adoption process, a gret tiger with a bob-tail started playfully batting at the arm of my room mate  Now he's hooked (he was also a many year dog lover).  Now I can't imagine not having these two wonderful pets.  They are well behaved and spend hours playing with each other (and, thus, entertaining us).  What's not to love?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimanuel12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
that is so cool - cats are the funniest critters and i love my little fur ball.  she is and always has been a daddy's girl for some reason.

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a great thread. I never really bothered much with cats. as our house allways had a dog when I was growing up.When I left home to live with my girlfriend who is now my wife she had a cat (Zany) that she found in a rubbish bin and since then I have loved cats , we have had 5 more since. 

Last edited:

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jhonnie, I loved your story and just looking at how absolutely beautiful they are I can see what turned your head.

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am pretty sure that a REAL man would at least try to learn about cats if they are new to them, I can
definitely say every man in my life has loved and / or lovingly tried to accept and appreciate them, had they not they would not be in my life very long.

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was raised with cats my entire life & my Dad loved all of our cats to the ends of the earth. 

My husband is now a convert 3wks after our little rescue guy Si arrived. 
    He was actually pretty leery of them in general, although he can't explain why.  He was raised on a farm but still had not one barn kitty to interact with.  But he's loving the fact, and had no idea, that he can actually play chase with Si through the house (squealing about him getting his ankles in fact.  ROFL).  I'm not sure I've heard that much laughter from the hubby in a while.   But he's learning, he's researching behavior & feeding on the internet & I could not be happier.  It's been 9yrs since my last rescue pup, a doxie-mix, crossed the bridge.  We have encountered many stray cats & dogs in our travels, but this one spoke to me & my hubby understood.