Are there any *truly* unscented clumping litters?

purrbuddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got a big box of Fresh Step Unscented .. and boy is it ever perfumed! I think my cat may be scent-sensitive. What brands might be better to use?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Arm and Hammer unscented and it is.  I am allergic to most perfumes, so an unscented litter is a must for me.  Their Multi-Cat often has a smell, so I use the  Super Scoop Fragrance Free.

The Tractor Supply Paws and Claws brand is also unscented but the pee seems to drop to the bottom of the box before it clumps, so you often are scraping the clump off the bottom of the box.  To save a little money, I will mix the Arm and Hammer with it and that works well.

maniacmaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I buy the unscented clumping litter that Petco has available for scooping. I think it works well enough (though I haven't used many other brands) and it really is unscented.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrbuddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the ideas! Now I remember that the PetCo litter is unscented, and easy to get.  What about allergic cats-- I think my cat is likely allergic. I would avoid Feline Pine, but what about Yesterday's News? How does it work for your allergic cats? Anything not too dusty? Any other ideas for cats with sensitivities/allergies?

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not 100% sure that my cat is allergic to clay litter or not, but he has other allergies, so I switched him to World's Best cat litter. It's made out of corn and the only time I ever see dust is on Grim's paws; but that's because corn is a light color and he is a black cat.
A couple weeks ago I sat my friend's kitten for a couple weeks and I was going through litter like crazy so I temporarily went back to my old favourite litter: Fresh Step. I couldn't stand it! I had to return it immediately, it made me cough and wheeze for hours after they dug around in the litter box. My nose itches just thinking about it..

chef g

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use Odour Buster....it clumps very well and it unscented.  It is a clay litter, so it is a little heavy.  I have used World's Best in the past...but with the new formula it is way too dusty.  I did contact the company and they did change the formula, the old formula was much better.  Odour Buster has the dust removed so it is almost dust free.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I use Sanicat Professional Clumping Gold: it doesn't say it's unscented but the scent is very, very light, and as for dust - it really is virtually dust free. My mum has scent allergies and it doesn't bother her at all. Tracks badly though as it's quite fine under paw.  There again it could just be that my boy digs like he's escaping from Alkatraz and leaps out of the tray like he's going for Olympic gold in the long jump 
 . Clumps pretty well though and I find the odour control is better than anything else I've used.  I can get it in one of the UK supermarkets but cheaper on line (and delivery person has to carry up the stairs to my flat rather than me 
 ). 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd forgotten about the Petco Brand.  I do like that as well but our nearest Petco is 33 miles away, so I don't get up there often.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I buy the unscented clumping litter that Petco has available for scooping. I think it works well enough (though I haven't used many other brands) and it really is unscented.

I've been using the Petco generic.  It doesn't have a scent per se but somehow smells.....just odd.  To my nose, anyway. The cats use it but I really don't like it and have been wondering what else I can try.  Maybe I'll try the A&H Fragrance Free.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Warning - the Arm and Hammer is more expensive than most other clay brands.  I usually get it on sale at Target.  They sometimes have it on sale with a $5 gift card when you buy two boxes.  I really feel like I got a bargain then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrbuddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You all have some really great ideas. Thank you! I was Googling and found the Premium Chice Carfree Kitty Unscented Clumping.. it was suggested here in this forum on another thread.  Has anyone tried that?  The World's Best seems costly, and if it's made out of corn.. my dog will likely want to eat it. ;) I wish litters were all low dust and fragrance-free. Anyway, I'll give Premium Choice Carfree Kitty a try, and I'll let you know how it works out. Thank you so very much for the suggestions and solutions!