Are there any gifts that....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
....you would prefer not to receive?

With me, it's pretty much anything with a scent. I'm not fond of scented candles, for example, primarily because I worry about how the cats react to the scent. Actually, I guess candles. Period. I used to burn candles quite often with the old clan. These guys? I don't quite trust them around flames.

What about you? Are there any items you would prefer not to receive?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like scented candles, but like you I don't trust the cats around them. I also have insanely sensitive smoke detectors.

I guess I would also say certain books I *know* I'm not going to read. I was once given a self-help book, and I never touched it.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
anything that is dog related ( im not a dog person), stuff that is too small to wear or things that make me feel small inside

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When the girls were younger I couldn't do candles because of the flame so candles weren't good for me then either. I can now but don't too often. I use Scentsy anyway. I just keep any candles on my stovetop or in something that encloses it; like a decorative lantern thing. It's been kind of nice being able to do gifts like that again.

Otherwise it's just clothes. I mean like shirts that aren't hoodies or t-shirt kinds of shirts. I'm just too hard to fit. Sometimes someone nails it and it looks great. But the way I carry my weight button ups have never looked right. And some plus size tops end up looking like maternity tops. That's the last thing I need!! :lol: :rolleyes2:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess clothing related items - Socks, undergarments, woolen sweaters and the like. Scarves can be a hit or miss, but most often the latter. Nothing personally against them or personally not to my taste or doesn't fit comfortably. A gift card towards a nice clothing store would be way up my alley!

Tshirts and hoodies can be OK if the person knows me well enough and it has designs or writing on it that I would like! Like something nerdy or associated with a career or academic background. One friend made me a ballet themed tshirt, one got me a sweater with the dance school's logo that I teach at and another gave me a hoodie from my university in grad school, all of them I love.

Anyhoo, other things would be certain foods like jams or fruitcake. Books and calendars are a hit and miss too, depending on how well one knows me. I've received both great ones and very bleh ones. Unless I directly point it out, I think it would be safe to not get one for me lol Or again, a gift card for books too.

I love (good quality) fragrances, like candles, lotions, soaps and perfume, so lemme at em' :D Thankfully my kitties are fine around candles, although of course I would never leave the house with them and a lighted candle alone.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Allergic to candles and anything scented so that's a no-no. :nono: Also a coffee mug - I got so many mugs as holiday gifts when I was teaching that I don't need anymore, (there's no room in the cupboard).

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I will agree with candles. I used to have a cabinet full of Yankee Candles!! When I adopted Artie, I noised he was not keen on the scented candles. After that, I always had a window open a bit, when I used them.. but not as frequently.

With Geoffrey, he is so sensitive, that any candle lit will start him to cry. They are also not good for my asthma; so I have a couple, but I never light them. If I do, it is only about 15 minutes-- enough to get the scent.

Oh, and smelly toiletries. Not for me.. never really was. When Bed Bath & Beyond was extremely popular, I always received a ton of gifts from them. Not for me.. I gave them away. My cousin used to work there. She used her employee discount and sales for gifts. You always knew what you were getting for a gift.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Books from people who don't know what I like to read, unless they get lucky and happen to get something that I like. Bouquets of flowers that include lilies because of the cats. The vet that I take my cats to puts out a warning about them before Easter every year. They say that putting them up where the cats can't get at them isn't good enough, they shouldn't be in the house at all.

I love scented things. I am back to the occasional trip to Bath and Body Works. During the pandemic I was just picking up shower gel and lotion at the Supermarket. I didn't realize how much I missed those occasional trips until I went back.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anything live! :lol:
I've "re-gifted" candles, or I'll take them to work to burn in the lobby. I really like scented candles, but I don't like burning them in the house because of the cats, and my ditz-moments take over and I'm afraid I'll forget about it and leave it burn when I shouldn't. 🤷‍♀️
I was given a very nice bathrobe about 5-6 years ago. It's very pretty, but it's not me. It's pink, filmy, with sparkles and glitters, it's "too pretty". It was given to me by a family member that doesn't know me well at all, and I appreciate it but I've never worn it. I have a hard time giving things like that away (it's the thought that counts), but it's been hanging there for years untouched. I'm going to donate it to the food/goods bank, and hope it goes to someone who will love it, and I hope it makes them feel beautiful! :happycat:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to be careful with candles because of the allergies,and that scent thing goes for any perfumes,lotions,soaps.Coffee mugs?I have enough to probably outfit another nation!so nope...pretty much no more of them!Cat stuff...I have so much and no room to put anymore.I could go on.......

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like scented candles, but like you I don't trust the cats around them. I also have insanely sensitive smoke detectors.

I guess I would also say certain books I *know* I'm not going to read. I was once given a self-help book, and I never touched it.
I have the same feeling about self help books. I never read them either. I seek out a Professional if I feel the issue is beyond my capacity.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If someone were to give me a gift that I really didn't want I'd still be grateful that they thought of me but the gift would likely go to DD.
Such as:

Milk chocolate. I'm very picky about chocolate. I prefer high quality dark chocolate. DD is always happy to take milk chocolate off my hands. :lol:
Restaurant gift cards. I don't like Olive Garden or Chipotle. DD gets those and she and her BF use them for date night.

I'm OK with scented stuff like lotions, etc from Bath & Body Works. If the scent isn't what I like I can exchange it. Most people who would get me a gift know I love B&BW

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Candles, lotions, coffee mugs (years as a teacher has left me with too many) and most clothes, because I prefer to pick them out myself.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember when my now deceased Aunt, RIP; decided to give me a Christmas gift. She was in her early 70's or so..
I could not guess what it was.. Opened it up, and it was a roll of scented drawer liner! It was obviously a re-gift...
I did not know how to react.. I was too polite, Saying something, like; Oh, I love the scent.. All of her adult kids and grand children chided her about the 'gift'... She never did give me anything usable... I always donated her gifts.. except for one, a manicure set in a case. That one I still have. I know she probably got it at Christmas Tree Shop or somewhere...

Her gifts to the immediate family were expensive, but some sweaters were very tacky.... oh well.. goes to show you where I fit in the family!!

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Coffee mugs! As a teacher, I get so many of them. Every couple of years, I have to donate a box full of mugs to good will. Second is clothes. I've got an unusual body type and it's hard to dress. Things just don't fit me the way they do normal people.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember when my now deceased Aunt, RIP; decided to give me a Christmas gift. She was in her early 70's or so..
I could not guess what it was.. Opened it up, and it was a roll of scented drawer liner! It was obviously a re-gift...
I did not know how to react.. I was too polite, Saying something, like; Oh, I love the scent.. All of her adult kids and grand children chided her about the 'gift'... She never did give me anything usable... I always donated her gifts.. except for one, a manicure set in a case. That one I still have. I know she probably got it at Christmas Tree Shop or somewhere...

Her gifts to the immediate family were expensive, but some sweaters were very tacky.... oh well.. goes to show you where I fit in the family!!
I moved to Florida 20 years ago this month. In December of 2002 after Christmas a co-worker came in with this story of her Christmas morning. She had her family plus her parents and inlaws at her house. They handed out gifts and her MIL handed her a gift from FIL and her very excitedly. She opened it up and it was a toilet seat. She was confused but thanked them. Her MIL got even more excited and took her out into the driveway. In the bed of FIL's truck was a toilet with a bow on it. They bought her a toilet for Christmas. My first thought was maybe she was remodeling her bathroom. Nope. Was something wrong with the toilets she had? Nope. Her MIL just decided that she'd buy her a toilet. They got along very well so it was not intended to be a dig at her in any way (I asked). I still laugh when I think of that.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing with scent or trinkets. Honestly, I would prefer people not buy me gifts these days. I specifically told my sister I did not want a birthday gift and definitely no yarn (I have about 8 large totes of yarn, it's an addiction). So what did she get me? A gift certificate for a company that sells yarn. Yes, I used it :flail: