Are there any bugs toxic to cats?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UGH! Mazy cat ate two strange bugs! Ugh! There was just this long creepy crawly thing, either an extra long earwig or... but I think it had a lot of legs, with pinchers on the end. Ugh, I stepped on it and meant to pick it up but got distracted. Then I saw another one so stepped on that one, as I stepped on it I noticed the other one had disappeared, and then, before I could stop her Mazy ate the second one too!

Should I be worried? (dumb question of course I am worried)

But what on EARTH? Mazy cat never eats bugs. Dead or alive.

UGH! SHUDDER.

And I can't imagine where the darn things came from. I often have the odd earwig around, but never saw these things before. urrrrghhhhhh

She seems fine, in fact even a bit smug, but why on earth at this late date would she start eating squashed bugs. They weren't even moving, it's not like she hunted them, for crying out loud.

Please reassure me before I worry myself sick! I suppose I could call the animal poison control hotline.....but I can't really identify the bug, since I stepped on them too quickly and then they were gone.

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the bugs with long legs are okay. Ritz is a hunter of bugs, but they rarely get inside. I'll usually let her eat the bug.
If it's toxic to humans it's poison to cats, like wasps.
Here is an article I found.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
URRRGGGHHHLE! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Actually I found a pic:

They look like earwigs but too many legs for an earwig. But it puzzles me because I've never seen anything like it in this apartment before and I've lived here over 16 years.

And even more puzzling is why Mazy cat would eat them. I mean, they weren't even alive and crawling (though my scalp is crawling just writing this) They were already squashed, by my shoe.

Ah well she seems none the woprse for it, but my gorge is still rising at the thought. :lol3:

queenof3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get those bugs sometimes crawling in from cracks along the floors in my house. I live in a rented house. The old cat-hater who owns this house never got it renovated after hurricane sandy hit. I live one block from the beach so you can imagine how hard this area must have been hit. When I moved in i did the best to clean it up and make it as safe as possible for my cats. I've seen all kinds of bugs crawling here from time to time. I NEVER let any of my cats eat them because I don't know what they'll contract from it. These bugs and even Mosquitos and flies can be hosts to harmful viruses. No, my cats aren't allowed to hunt flies either. They have plenty of toys to play with.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you, I don't let my cats eat bugs either. She ate them before I knew she was eating them. She's never eaten a bug in her life before this. :lol3:

Thankfully I haven't seen any more of the centipedes. Wonder what it was about them that attracted her?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We only just started getting those creepy centipede bugs last year too. Maybe they're invading new territory! :lol3:

Wonder why Mazy found it so tasty? Good thing she leaves most insects alone, you just don't know what they'll get.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have bought crickets from the pet store, and put them in the bath tub to play with and eat. She got bored.with them. But the ones that accidentally find their way in, oh what entertainment!