Are Tabby Markings Unusual in Tortoiseshell Cats

redcat57

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lilly  is still pretty reserved.

She was turned in to Paws at about 3 weeks. We guess that whoever fostered her either didn't have cats, or had uninterested cats. We got her the day after she was returned to Paws to be spayed. She reacted poorly to the other kittens in the room, but we figured she had just been spayed.

We did try to take her to our friend's for a play date with her foster kittens, but she was freaked out. We figured it was because it was not her turf.

It was also clear early that she had not been socialized by other cats because she didn't understand that biting and clawing hurt. She was clearly not taught.

When she was 2 we decided one cat wasn't enough for 3 cat lovers, so we adopted brothers (it is nice to have a friend who fosters).

When we brought Pippin and Domino home Lilly was terrified of them. Pretty freaky to see a grown cat displaying that discomfort to a 2 pound fur ball. And the kittens did all of the proper submissive things, they weren't aggressive or anything.

It was about a month before she stopped being afraid of them. She started by watching them play, looking just like a sulky teenager. She graduated to playing with them a little, when we weren't looking. If she saw us watching, she would stop. She still isn't wholehearted, but she does engage, and stopped hissing if they run up to her. She still doesn't get that touching noses is a greeting.

We really weren't planning on getting another cat. But Saturday when we went to our friends for a visit Sophia chose Travis. Our friend had them because they weren't adopted right after their spays, and they were not eating well at the shelter.

Supposedly Sophia was shy and not really a lap cat. But she climbed right up in Travis's lap. When we changed rooms, she followed and climbed up in his lap. Every time he moved she would get back in his lap once he settled. Jill and Travis lobbied hard, and said they would help more with the cat boxes, etc. I was resistant. But, Travis has been missing our senior cat Pippi for a long time. She was his baby lap cat.

They were going back to Homeward Pets on Sunday, so we got there when they opened and picked her up. Our friend said we can't go over to her house any more :)

We expected Lilly would be bent, but she has been amazingly tolerant. It has been less than a week and she appears fairly mellow about Sophia. Funnily enough Pippin was totally jealous. He sat and watched Sophia in a very indignant fashion for a couple of days. Sophia started making friends with the boys as quickly as possible and they are already playing actively with her. Lilly is still mostly watching, but it seems like she is playing more with the boys than she was. Eventually I think the 3 kittens will win her over. They are all fascinated by her. 

Here is picture of Domino and Sophia after she stole a piece of cheese from Travis:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sophia and Topaz are more beautiful Torbie and White girls!    Sophia is Brown (Black) Mackerel Torbie and White,  and Topaz is Brown (Black) Classic Torbie and White.

I explained somewhere recently about that Brown / Black thing.  Tabbies who are genetically Black have traditionally been called Brown Tabbies because the background color is often brownish.   It would make more sense to just call them Black Tabbies.  but people don't want to change.  so TICA is now saying "Brown (Black)"

Redcat,   thanks for sharing the story... sounds like  Sophia knew exactly who she wanted for her human! 

& re Lily being terrified of Pippin & Domino...     my Sammy is scared of BABY kittens!   lol!    Not that he gets to even see them much.  but he slipped into the bedroom where they're in a pop up shelter ,   and sneaked up and peeked at them and acted very disturbed and scared by these strange little cat creatures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Tippi just looks more stunning all the time.

Re the eye color... hmmm she is in that stage where it's in flux.   I will vote for green   since it would look so cool.   and because a lot of silver tabbies have green eyes.

redcat57

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow!

Topaz is very stunning. The intensity of color is beautiful!

And Tippi looks like she is posing for a calendar, what a pretty model. Awesome pictures of a beautiful girl!

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!
Topaz is very stunning. The intensity of color is beautiful!

And Tippi looks like she is posing for a calendar, what a pretty model. Awesome pictures of a beautiful girl!
Thank you. Yes, the photo does not do her justice - she is almost brilliant in her colours. And her brother Amber is the deepest red tabby I have seen in a long time - obviously very good colour genes there!

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Yes, the photo does not do her justice - she is almost brilliant in her colours. And her brother Amber is the deepest red tabby I have seen in a long time - obviously very good colour genes there!
 I agree Topaz is stunning she looks like chocolate velvet if there is such a thing

Tippi seems to like the camera she looks right into the lens sometimes , think there might be a bit of supermodel in her

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some new pictures of Tippi she's past three month old now , I've noticed two changes her eyes are green although they still have a grey tint about them .

And her red tabby markings seem to be getting bolder

Another thing l 've noticed is that her strips both the black and the red are on the very end of the hair shaft you can see this on the last picture where her shoulder fans out the fur, most of her undercoat is a whitish grey colour which makes me think she could have turned out a much whiter cat ?

When she is spayed is their a chance she could lose some of these strips when they shave her ?

faythe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she is soooo cute making me want another kitten

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I 've had my Tippi a full year today I got her on the 19th November 2013 , so she's 14 month old today.

I was wondering if she is still a Black Silver Mackerel Torbie and White which was the description I was given when she was a kitten ?

Her coat colour as changed the black strips are thinner more on the tip of the hair shaft and the Mackerel pattern seems more defined , i can still see the silver under coat .

What do you think now she's is an adult cat ?

Personality wise she's lovely really affectionate very much a daddies girl

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a beautiful girl Tippi has grown into! She really does have such wonderful markings.

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful girl Tippi has grown into! She really does have such wonderful markings.
Yes she's grown in to a beautiful girl and she as a lovely sweet nature .

Hard to believe a year as passed since I got her