Are Skinks (lizards) Poisonous To Cats?

MyOllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I often put Ollie on a kind of tether in the back yard, he wears a harness and I have one of those retractable leads for him which I have hooked onto a stake in the middle of the yard, while I'm hanging out washing or doing other odd jobs around the place. He loves to run around and bake in the sun but his favourite thing to do is get into the garden and pounce on anything that moves, particularly lizards. The thing is, is that a friend once told me that lizards are very bad for cats but this afternoon he came running up to me with a lizards tale, it's the second time he's done this now but it's got me scared because a few weeks ago he vomited a couple of times and was quite bloated. At the time I put it down to the fact that I was a week late in worming him but now looking back it may have been around the time I found him with the lizard tale... I really can't remember though? So I just wanted to see if there was anyone who actually knew lizards really do cause cats to become ill?

Thanks guys, any help would be much appreciated :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Your question peeked my curiosity so I did a google search and found an interesting article. Note the section, "lizards with poison."
Are Lizards Toxic to Cats?
Hope this helps you.

ETA: If you have any doubts or questions please contact your vet. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I see you are a fellow Australian. I know that Goannas can be bad for cats if they bite them - wound won’t heal.

We have skinks and blue tongues around the house and I’m pretty sure the poor things are harmless. I have a real lizard hunter of a cat - he brings ones of all shapes and sizes back to the house, I’m sure he gets bitten by them (I’ve seen him struggling with them when I try to save them) and he’s always fine. My little cat plays with the little lizards and ate one once and he was fine.