Are Non-adjuvanted Vaccines The Norm?

Susana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm curious to know if non-adjuvanted rabies and FeLV vaccines are now the norm or do you have to ask the vet clinic if they use them? It's been a while since I've had a baby kitten. I read online that "The risk of vaccine site sarcoma is almost completely eliminated by the use of non-adjuvanted vaccines. Specially formulated to eliminate the need for an adjuvant, these vaccines allow for safe inoculations with little to no risk of tumor formation and are just as effect as their adjuvanted counterpart. "
Because I believe Mike died of VAS (I was not able to get a biopsy in time), I will be asking for sure. I am just curious to know if has become standard practice yet.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are not the norm for rabies and FeLV as far as I know. I believe they are more common for the 3-way combo, but I had to call over 10 vets in my area before I found one that carries the Purevax Rabies vaccine. One reason for this is that it is more expensive than the adjuvanted rabies vaccine and so vets and customers are not willing to pay for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Susana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand cost concern but is it worth the risk? I was disappointed to learn that the only animal hospital near me that offered the Purevax Rabies and Purevax RCP FeLV vaccines is Banfield (inside Pet smart). I'm surprised considering Banfield has a 2.5 star rating whereas the two I was considering for my kittens are both rated 4.5.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand cost concern but is it worth the risk? I was disappointed to learn that the only animal hospital near me that offered the Purevax Rabies and Purevax RCP FeLV vaccines is Banfield (inside Pet smart). I'm surprised considering Banfield has a 2. 5 star rating whereas the 2 I was hoping to take my new kittens to are rate 4.5.
In my opinion it is not worth the risk to get an adjuvanted vaccine. I would just go to the clinic that offers the Purevax to get the non-adjuvanted one but stick to your regular vet that you trust for all other regular visits. You can let your vet know that the reason you went somewhere else is because they do not carry the non-adjuvanted vaccine.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also don't make the mistake of letting the vet technician take your cat to a private room without you there to administer the vaccine... only to find out afterwards that they put it in your cat's neck. :cringe::yelling: