Are my feeding schedules acceptable? Switched to timed feeding and Cats seem upset?

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I have a 3 year old boy (12 pounds) and a 3 month old girl kitty. My adult cat has always been free fed but now that we have the kitty we’re having to do timed feedings for now or else they’ll eat each other’s food. I feel like I’m feeding acceptable amounts but my cats are always crying for food!! It breaks my heart! Do I have an ok schedule?
Adult: 1/4 cup of dry food in AM and PM and one Sheba pate meal when I get home from work. (He constantly acts starving but usually leaves a few bites of the meals).
Kitty: 1/4 dry food in morning and night. Half a can of wet food when I get home from work. She eats ALL her food and is usually hungry for more. Should I feed more? There isn’t a great feeding guide for the wet food so I just kind of took a guess.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The 3 month old should be fed as much food as she wants. Growing kittens eat a ton of food. I'd feed the kitten more canned food (some can eat nearly a whole 5.5 oz can in a single meal) and leave a good cup or so of dry food for snacking on during the day. Kittens have small tummies so they tend to eat small multiple meals throughout the day. There are microchip feeders that you can use to allow the kitten access to the food while keeping the other cat out.

How many calories are you feeding the adult? 1/2 cup of dry food and one Sheba daily might not be enough to satisfy your cat's tummy even with some food leftover. A 12 lb cat should eat roughly 240 calories daily.