Are my cats gay??

eyemadreamer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an almost 4 year old neutered male, he grew up with my other 4 year old fixed female.. they were the best of friends, never saw any affection between them. Until recently, we rescued a male kitten. He's now approximately 8 to 10 months old, hes still a kitten. We got him neutered right away. The last few months i've noticed bumps around the kitten's neck, like bite marks or whatever. lots of them. I didn't really think anything of it, i thought they might have gotten into fights but they've been fine. anyway, just tonight i walked into the bedroom and both cats were on the bed. the kitten was in an weird awkward position, he up and ran out as soon as i came in. i walked over to tommy, the 4 year old.. rolled him on his back to rub his stomach and then thats when i saw it sticking out.. does this mean he and my 8 month old baby is "sexually active" even though they both are neutered?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't think they're gay, LOL. But I haven't witnessed that with cats before. But with dogs it's a dominance thing. It's how they establish their pecking order. Cats don't have as much as a heirarchy, so I'm just not sure here.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, that is too funny! If it's any help at all, male cats even when neutered can remaine quite hormonal up to a month after the operation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eyemadreamer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

LOL, that is too funny! If it's any help at all, male cats even when neutered can remaine quite hormonal up to a month after the operation.
Haha, my 4 year old has been neutered for over 3 years and this is the first time ive seen him get .. weird.. haha. and lucky, i got him neutered right away after getting him so hes been neutered for over 5 months now. it is hilarious but at the same time a bit freaky!

princesstiffany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I know dogs do that, but I've never heard of it in cats....LOL...Anyways, what's odd is if you notice, a fixed male dog will not do it to a female, only another male...
LOL, I have two beagles(male and female) who are fixed, and they NEVER do that...but my grandmother has two golden's who are both fixed...(MALES) and they do that...uhhh, I think I just confused myself...hope that made sense!!!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a dominance display, and it is actually very common in cats of both genders, though males (neutered or intact) seem to do it more.

It has nothing to do with sex or sexuality.

watermelonpunch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I was in high school, my mother's male long time neutered cats would come into my bedroom to escape the dog, and have sex on my bed. Yes, they had sex, I saw their hoo-has involved, and they made distinct sexual noises... let me just put it this way - it was unmistakeable sexual activity.

They remained long-time affectionate and close companions, until the death of one of them last year, at the age of 18.

I don't know if this is the case with your kitten... But I'd say it's not impossible.

From what I've read, homosexual sex is not uncommon among many types of animals. It's perfectly natural.

As for being neutered... I don't think neutering necessarily destroys the animal's ability to have sexual response. It most certainly does not make a cat impotent, that much I'm certain of.

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Well, I don't think they're gay, LOL. But I haven't witnessed that with cats before. But with dogs it's a dominance thing. It's how they establish their pecking order. Cats don't have as much as a heirarchy, so I'm just not sure here.
Pecking order??? Interesting choice of words. I can't stop laughing!!!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bawhahahaha!

Anyways I totally agree with watermelonpunch on this one!

Also they might not have be 'at it' I know when my male cats wash down there, theirs come out too. Though every animal of every species is known to sexually interact within genders.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

I know when my male cats wash down there, theirs come out too.
Mine too!

One of my cats used to straddle the other and pin him to the ground but it was dominance behaviour rather than sexual.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got straight and bisexual males-4 of my boys seem to be the worst far as mating the females-I had a couple in heat before they got spayed(I get the boys done at 5 months but sometimes wait with the girls) anyway benji loves his girlfriends and boyfriends lol...weirdest thing I saw was two boys on the girl cat...hmmmmmmm rolls eyes. RJ

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ryanjay

I got straight and bisexual males-4 of my boys seem to be the worst far as mating the females-I had a couple in heat before they got spayed(I get the boys done at 5 months but sometimes wait with the girls) anyway benji loves his girlfriends and boyfriends lol...weirdest thing I saw was two boys on the girl cat...hmmmmmmm rolls eyes. RJ
Hahaha 3 some!

I have seen many of my male cats root each other.
Sometimes it looks like they enjoy it more than doing it to the female