Are medicated creams and ointments toxic to cats?

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wearing a medicated cream for sore leg muscles and Snowball is extremely attracted to it and is doing everything he can to get to the cream, including licking my jeans repeatedly. I was wondering how toxic this type of product is to cats if they happen to ingest any of it?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Perfect timing - according to our local pharmacist, they certainly can be. I'm using a prescription "rub" on my back, and JC keeps trying to lick it. When I asked the pharmacist, he said that it could definitely be toxic and to wear a thick sweatsuit with the top tucked in to bed to prevent the cat from licking it off me.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would be helpful to know the name of the ointment you are using, but a good rule is to make sure that no products intended for humans ever comes in contact with your cat, without vet's supervision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response, and I hope your back feels better soon. I was just looking at the tube the cream comes in, and it lists Menthol 2.5% as the active ingredient, but doesn't list any other ingredients. However, it does say people should get immediate medical attention if they swallow it.

Hissy, it's Bengay.