Are Kitty Caps Ethical?!?

katthedork

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just put kitty caps, the soft caps for their claws, on my kittens back paws. We have wood floors and he tends to go at them pretty hard with hisback paws when he runs, so we thought it would be a great idea, just the back paws. But now I'm reading that it's bad for them or something. I'm so unsure now. I only did his back claws, front is uncovered so he can scratch and play like normal. He hasn't seemed to have a bad reaction yet to the caps other then he didn't like me putting them on him.

Last edited:

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nope. they are a great alternative to dew clawing! If kitty went outside, I'd be a tad worried, but if kitty is indoors, that's fine. The caps do fall off over time, so you need to have them re-applied but they are great! And come in fun colors :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree. They are a great alternative to declawing. He will get used to you putting them on him over time. As mentioned, they do need to be replaced from time to time but they are pretty inexpensive and come in a lot of really cute colors. 

If you look hard enough, you will find people who say ANYTHING is bad or good. You have to decide what is best for you and your pet. It sounds like the Soft Paws are working out for you and your cat and if so, you have a win-win situation. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can sort of understand, because the caps DO change their behavior quite a lot when applied to the front claws. They can't climb well or hook their claws into something to avoid falling. Using them to play with toys is a bit hampered too. Yes, applying caps is MUCH preferable to de-clawing, so they're great for cats who engage in destructive scratching. But if someone were using them just for funsies I'd urge them to stop.

You just have to consider the alternatives. If the alternative is: de-clawing, or a family member disliking the cat because he wrecks the furniture, or an elderly/disabled/immune deficient family member being scratched, yes, use them. If the alternative is: you don't get to see your cat with pink claws :D, no, don't use them.

But for back claws they don't seem to affect behavior much at all. I don't see any problem with that.

Last edited: