Are flea products necessary for an indoor cat?

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am using Advantage II on both my Dog and Cat but was wondering.... Since my cat is all indoor, never goes outside Is it silly that I put it on her, do I really need too? It is very expensive buying 2 types of the Advantage II ($100+) just for 4 months and I have been struggling with money since loosing my PT job.
Thank you!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally I'd say yes, it is needed since you also have a dog, but, I do certainly understand the money issue.

I'd suggest (if you can) that you get her another supply just to keep on hand, but not use.
Continue to treat the dog and use it on the cat only if you notice any fleas on her or the dog.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If money is an issue, then doing what Arlyn is suggesting is a very good idea.

However, if someone can afford it, I would recommend flea treatment on indoor cat(s). The reason is I have NO dog, but two indoor out/door cats. Plus two indoor cats. I originally just put flea medication on the indoor/outdoor cats. Boy O boy was that a mistake. I now put flea medication on all the cats!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I think it does depend on where you live. For the past 4 years we havent had one issue with fleas until this year where its rain rain and more rain. It basically rendered all the pesticides from the fields useless and our yard treatment useless so we have ended up with fleas. I have spent a couple hundred dollars in flea treatments from Advantage II all the way to flea shampoo and NOTHING has worked. The only thing working for me right now its 3x daily flea combings, weekly baths and constantly vacuuming along with about 4 cans of Raid Flea killer a week. The hardest part for me is breaking the cycle.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have indoor only cats, the answer would be no. You're not a vector for fleas... well, I hope not anyway.
Your dogs however are, so they all need to be treated.

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a flea problem once even though my kitties were indoor only. I was perplexed. My vet asked me if they lay in open windows (it was spring then). Yes they did. He said fleas are high jumpers and can come through window screens. I had to have 3 cats and 2 small dogs all treated. My vet knowing my financial situation, gave me the the largest dog and cat flea meds and had me measure them out with a syringe they gave me and put it on them. This way sure did cost a lot less to treat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone

Originally Posted by ilovemia

I had to have 3 cats and 2 small dogs all treated. My vet knowing my financial situation, gave me the the largest dog and cat flea meds and had me measure them out with a syringe they gave me and put it on them. This way sure did cost a lot less to treat.
How do you know what doses to use? That would be an awesome idea!!

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet gave me the dosages. I wouldnt do it without a vets supervision.You dont want to accidently give the wrong dose, the cat could get very sick or even die. I would call your vet and ask about it.

sillysiberians

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor too, but they managed to host a flea family reunion at my place. I've found that in the hottest summer months, flea treatment is a must. Though fleas don't live on people, they can get easily tracked in on clothes, blankets, rugs etc.
As long as you haven't had a recent outbreak, you're probably fine to go without in winter months.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as you have a dog that goes outside, you need to put flea preventative on both your dog and cat. You might be able to get away with only applying every other month for the cats, though.

olivesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add in what happened to us. 

Just found out Olive has fleas. She is indoor only. The only exposure she has to the outside is through a window or in her carrier to the car (this is about once a week).

Somehow she managed to get a tapeworm, from ingesting a flea. 

My vet thinks it unlikely that she got it through a window so I'm at a loss... either the apartment we moved into already had them (but the carpet was shampooed the day we moved in) or else somehow through the window or maybe a next door neighbor's pet? My dog comes around once and a while but she is one a good monthly flea prevention. 

So I'd say if you can afford it, do it if just to prevent tapeworms which are creepy little buggers! Also pretty cheap is flea and tick shampoo. My vet said that the sergeant's gold I have is pretty good stuff. Says it kills fleas and ticks and flea eggs up to 30 days.