Are cats unappreciated pets?

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably a supply and demand issue. If many cat owners buy their cats the cheapest dry food and keep them outdoors almost all the time, that lowers the demand for premium foods or cat toys.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do most pet stores only have a small cat section? At the Petco I go to, one side is for cats, one side for small mammals, birds, fish, and reptiles, and the middle is for dogs. At Petsmart, one side is for dogs and the other side, half is for cats and the other half is for small mammals, birds, reptiles, and fish. I have dogs and they definitely need more stuff and bigger stuff than the cats do, so I feel like it's only natural for there to be a larger dog section. I don't feel like the pet stores marginalize cats.

However, farmers frequently treat cats like vermin. Which is very upsetting :/.

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats just arent as loved and are thought of being more independent so people dont want to spend on them. Which doesnt make sense for food especially because cats need more protein and truly cant digest fillers. But people dont know that and dont care to research about cats. Toys i can understand more because they find fun in anything around the house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gonger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our stores here are probably smaller anyway I guess but they do have half a store dedicated to toys, brushes, food. Cats get 2 shelves and about 1/4 of the other side for food and litter.I always knew cats were strictly carnivorous so I was surprised at the grain content in most cheap food.Tell me about it! Her favourite toy is a Pump water bottle lid.