Are Cats Bothered By White Noise?

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
The layout of my house causes any noises to travel throughout so it is hard for Mango to settle since he always wants to be where the action is. I am thinking of getting a white noise machine for my bedroom to try and drown out the noise coming from the rest of the house and give him a place to relax and feel safe. Anyone have experience with cats and white noise? Did yours tolerate it? Do you think it would help in this situation? Thanks :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a dock for my iphone, and every night i play a soft rain app on my phone, i love to sleep to the sound of rain. My cats dont mind that at all. I would guess the noise itself could make a difference, some sounds may irritate them, some may not?

when i turn on my rain app the cats know its bed time :)

Last edited:

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use a sound machine every night in my bedroom, well now it's ad app on my iPod, but something, that cats have no problem at all with it. White noise is the same kind of sound as a fan makes, so unless the sound of a fan scares him I don't think that would be a problem.
I'm not sure how well it works to drowned out noise for a cat though. I've laid down for a rest/nap before and had cats with me, noise elsewhere in the house (even if I don't really hear it over the white noise) still causes them to at least perk up, like "what was that?". My house is normally quiet though, so any other noise is likely going to be the other cats or the dogs doing something, lol.