Are cats allowed outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katman

Well firstly i am not irresponsible! and secondly here in England it is practically unheard of for cats not to be allowed out. I regard myself as a responsible cat owner, my last cat Mawser lived to the grand old age of 16 and he was an outdoor cat, my other two cats sasha and jasmine are outdoor/indoor felines, they enjoy their little bit of freedom and return home in a much more contented mood. I would not want to become a control freak over my cats.
It's not unheard of at all, it's just unusual. I have known many indoor cats, all owned by loving people who didn't want their pets to end up as roadkill.

I am not a control freak. I am an intelligent person who knows that if my kittens were to set foot outdoors they would die in a very short space of time. Do you still think I should let them out? Should I say 'what the hell' and let them take their chances with the busy road? After all, if you think they're so smart they should be able to dodge cars driving at 40mph, right? They should be smart enough to stop at the edge of the road, look both ways and follow the green cross code, right?

Why on earth can't you accept that people have different views and that your view is NOT necessarily the correct one? I won't let my kittens outside for exactly the reasons stated, but I can perfectly understand people who chose to let their cats out so long as it is safe for them to do so. I don't start calling people cruel or control freaks just because their view differs from mine.

ginger's mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purity

Why on earth can't you accept that people have different views and that your view is NOT necessarily the correct one? I won't let my kittens outside for exactly the reasons stated, but I can perfectly understand people who chose to let their cats out so long as it is safe for them to do so. I don't start calling people cruel or control freaks just because their view differs from mine.

katman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well i guess you guys will just have to contiue seeing things through "rose tinted glasses" you cant convince me that what you may think is right, is "the gospel according to cats".This might be the way the law works in your country, but over here in "the good oi' united kingdom" 90% of cat owners would regard it as quite amazing that you never let your cats out?.

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are terrified of being outside. Gizmo got out when I didn't shut the door tight (got home from work at 5am and was too tired to realize it!) and was outside for several hours. I found her hiding under a lawn chair that was leaning up against the house. The most she will do is come out and sit on the back steps that go to the dogs' fenced in area. She has no desire to go any further! And Sasha doesn't even go near the door. She was an outside cat before I got her, and she wants nothing to do with outside now.

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well i guess you guys will just have to contiue seeing things through "rose tinted glasses" you cant convince me that what you may think is right, is "the gospel according to cats".This might be the way the law works in your country, but over here in "the good oi' united kingdom" 90% of cat owners would regard it as quite amazing that you never let your cats out?.
You can't even agree to differ without adding another insult can you!

I am not trying to convince you of the 'gospel' anything, I am saying that cats can and do live perfectly happy healthy lives indoors. I can assure you that not one person I have spoken to in this country has seen it as amazing that my cats are indoors. If I told them that they were allowed out on the other hand, I think they would report me to the RSPCA.

There is no law that states cats should be kept inside or out, either in the US or the UK. Loving, responsible cat owners in each and every country in the world do what is best in their circumstances.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, cats can and DO live purrrfectly happy lives indoors. In fact, it is much better if you do keep them indoors, they are much safer and healthier that way. But, this all depends on where you live. If you live in the city close to busy roads, there is no doubt that the best thing to do is keep your cat inside at all times, unless they are put out on a lead with a safe harness or you build some sort of an enclosure for them to run in. If you live in a rural setting, where there are very few roads, your cat has a much greater chance of not becoming road kill. However, there are other things to consider, like wildlife that may view a domesticated cat as prey. As always, there is the biggest fear of all, when letting your cat run free outside and that fear is PEOPLE!! I would not want any of my cats to become a victim of an animal abuser. It is best for your cat to keep them inside and not running free outdoors. However, there is a question are they happy? I say yes, especially if the cat has never been outdoors. If you provide plenty of stimulation for them, they will be happy. I do have an outdoor enclosure for my Bobcats, but they are tamed wild cats and need this extra stimulation for their well being. 1 of our domestic cats likes to go out and join them in the enclosure, but for the most part, my other domestic cats would prefer to just sit in the doorway and look outside.

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cali was a street cat before I took her in, and now she wouldn't even think of going outside either, she loves this house cat life.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cats are no different, they are after all decendent from the "big cats" and should be allowed to choose for themselves if they
Actually, this is not true. They are decendents from African dessert sand cats, that are no bigger than our domesticated cats of today. That's where the majority of our cats get their tabby stripes from, the African cat where they decended from. Anyway, that is not the topic of this thread. As a kid, I always had cats and when I was much younger, we always let our cats outside to run free. These cats never ended up living a healthy life. They would get into fights with other cats or other animals. The worse thing I can ever remember as a kid, is a wonderful stray tabby cat that came to our home to be fed. One day, he came to our home with open wounds on his mouth and he could not swallow. It was determined that he either got into drain cleaner on his own or was force fed the stuff, by some stupid ignorant human. His throat and other parts were so badly burned by the drain cleaner, that he was put down. So much for a HAPPY outdoor cat!! From that day on, our cats never went outside to roam free again. If we let them out, they were always on a lead and harness and only while we were home to supervise them. Building an outdoor enclosure is a great idea. I love the pictures posted here. Mine can be seen on the Say Hello To Boris thread

ginger's mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As I've said before and I'll say it again.
In NZ I would have no problem letting my cat out but where I live in Japan definately not without a leash.
Each persons situation is different and we should respect the choices people make in the best interest of their cats and please stop dictating that cats MUST be inside or MUST be outside, it's just not true. No-one here should be flaming anyone else, each is entitled to their opinion without fear of being shot to pieces by another.
As long as your furbaby is happy and healthy

kathy14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

In the area of the city where I live, more than half of all humans and pets live in high rise buildings... I'm on the 16th floor and there are lots of people higher than me. How do you suppose we let our cats out? Should I teach them how to use the elevator button?

katman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ginger's Mum

As I've said before and I'll say it again.
In NZ I would have no problem letting my cat out but where I live in Japan definately not without a leash.
Each persons situation is different and we should respect the choices people make in the best interest of their cats and please stop dictating that cats MUST be inside or MUST be outside, it's just not true. No-one here should be flaming anyone else, each is entitled to their opinion without fear of being shot to pieces by another.
As long as your furbaby is happy and healthy
I totally agree!..too many people on this site think they know everything that is best for cats?..well they dont!, without seeming distrespectful i was disscussing this very topic of whether it is better for cats to be kept in/or out? and the majority of people (many who have cats) said they could understand it if cats were living in a dangerous enviroment then you might feel safer if they were kept in, but also that they couldn't get their heads around the fact that in the USA people actually keep their pets in for no apparent reason, other than to deny them a chance to live in the "real world".

little_pumpkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in a pretty quiet suburban town where most people let their cats roam around as they please. I've had 2 older cats, both adopted from rescue centres that found them as strays, that we've let use a cat flap to come in & out whenever. The younger of the two, Monty, would come home regularly with little cuts here & there from fighting but other than that we've had no problems. The older one, Benson, is now about 18 & still enjoying sunning himself in the back garden!
The only thing is we've just got 2 kittens, Yoshi & Gulliver, & we're not sure wether or not to let them out. At the moment they're only about 4 months & neither have had their flu jabs or been neutered, so if they're going outside it won't be for a while, but its not an easy choice! We've not had any real problems with our cats having the option to go out when they want but I'm not sure if, having been strays, our big cats are just a lot hardier than our little kittens would be!
Does anyone have any advice as to when, if at all, we should start introducing our little ones to the big wide world?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never let mine out till 6 months, with all their shots, s/n etc. And I start them on a harness and walk them round hte house/garden for a month or so daily, going a bit further each time. Then at least I know they are familiar with the neighbourhood. But I only have outdoor cats if I am confident that hte risks are minimal - no through traffic roads nearby and no predators. All the people who live near me know my cats and watch them as well as I do when they are out.

katman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats, sasha 3yrs and jasmine 2yrs, i waited until they both had their vacinations (flu etc and spayed) they were approximetly 6mths before i slowly introduced them to "the big outside". I said slowly first cos' i would open the back door into my garden, and gently coaxed them outside, then i would reasure them by staying with them once i made a move to return inside, they would follow me back in, until they were confident to go out alone. I did exactly the same thing when they both ventured out into the front, after a week or so they began to wonder a bit further...and the rest is history as they say.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I totally agree!..too many people on this site think they know everything that is best for cats?..well they dont!, without seeming distrespectful i was disscussing this very topic of whether it is better for cats to be kept in/or out? and the majority of people (many who have cats) said they could understand it if cats were living in a dangerous enviroment then you might feel safer if they were kept in, but also that they couldn't get their heads around the fact that in the USA people actually keep their pets in for no apparent reason, other than to deny them a chance to live in the "real world".
Pardon me? We keep them inside just to "deny" them, um, anything? You're obviously new around here. The cats represented on this site generally want for nothing. They are fed quality food, have more toys and positive interaction than a cat could want, and basically run the household. Any you're saying that we just want to deprive them of the "real world"? I think perhaps you may be the owner of those "Rose Tinted Glasses". The "real world" that I know in terms of outdoor cats includes the constant threat of cars, dogs, other wild animals (raccoons, foxes, skunks, coyotes, in my area), and the biggest threat being people who don't like cats.

If your part of the world doesn't have these types of threats, good for you! If the area where you live is safe for pets to roam freely, that's fabulous for your pets and your own piece of mind. There are places like that in the world. However, the vast majority of people at least in the US live in urban or suburban settings where it is NOT safe to allow pets to roam, and I personally don't appreciate the implication that I'm a cruel cat owner, or denying them something essential, by keeping them safely inside. In fact, how dare you say that I'm cruel to my cats by keeping them safely indoors!

BTW, the idea that all cats should be allowed to roam is slowly changing in the UK and Europe, and I imagine will continue to keep changing as pets are viewed as more than a piece of replaceable property and urban areas increase.

ccsr79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As you guys said, if the environment is safe, let the cats be outdoors, but I also don't agree with the statement that we're denying them the real world!

I live in an apartment building, so for Lucas to go out, I literally have to go downstairs with him and throw him outside, then how can he come back in, since the door downstairs is always locked?

One of the old ladies at my building feeds ferals, so even having Lucas up to date on his shots, do you really think he'd be ok, by hanging around a bunch of ferals that have god knows what disease and can attack him at any time?

Then the street I live in is quite dangerous -- forget about pets getting run over, people get run over here all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that cats should ALWAYS be indoors, however I don't see Lucas going out anytime soon, if ever. But if the environment is on your favor, then by all means let him out, but don't judge me and the other people here, who made a decision to keep their cat in for their own safety.

katman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Pardon me? We keep them inside just to "deny" them, um, anything? You're obviously new around here. The cats represented on this site generally want for nothing. They are fed quality food, have more toys and positive interaction than a cat could want, and basically run the household. Any you're saying that we just want to deprive them of the "real world"? I think perhaps you may be the owner of those "Rose Tinted Glasses". The "real world" that I know in terms of outdoor cats includes the constant threat of cars, dogs, other wild animals (raccoons, foxes, skunks, coyotes, in my area), and the biggest threat being people who don't like cats.

If your part of the world doesn't have these types of threats, good for you! If the area where you live is safe for pets to roam freely, that's fabulous for your pets and your own piece of mind. There are places like that in the world. However, the vast majority of people at least in the US live in urban or suburban settings where it is NOT safe to allow pets to roam, and I personally don't appreciate the implication that I'm a cruel cat owner, or denying them something essential, by keeping them safely inside. In fact, how dare you say that I'm cruel to my cats by keeping them safely indoors!

BTW, the idea that all cats should be allowed to roam is slowly changing in the UK and Europe, and I imagine will continue to keep changing as pets are viewed as more than a piece of replaceable property and urban areas increase.
Another know it all eh?...well my friend whats good for you aint necessarily good over here in the good o'l united kingdom, so dont come on here with your " i know better than you attitude"! oh and by the way i am not new on here! also i am considered somewhat of an authoritive on cat behaviour, and cat welfare, please dont try to patronise me!.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Another know it all eh?...well my friend whats good for you aint necessarily good over here in the good o'l united kingdom, so dont come on here with your " i know better than you attitude"! oh and by the way i am not new on here! also i am considered somewhat of an authoritive on cat behaviour, and cat welfare, please dont try to patronise me!.
Well if this isn't a case of "hi pot, it's me kettle"....seriously...do you ever take a moment to read what you've written?? You basically insulted a ton of people who you've never met simply because you consider yourself to be an expert. Let me remind you:

in the USA people actually keep their pets in for no apparent reason, other than to deny them a chance to live in the "real world".
You don't know anyone here...so stop acting like you know about our lives. Many people signed contracts to keep their cats indoors...the rescue I volunteer with has that as a requirement. People are signing legally binding contracts to keep their cats indoors..and it isn't for "no apparent reason". We've already informed you of the risks that are faced here..but you've decided to ignore them.

Also..let me remind you that no one here is now saying you need to keep your cats indoors..but for those of us who have chosen (for whatever reason) to keep our cats indoors..you must respect it and move on.

Katie

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This conversation is going no where and civility will not come back to this thread. In fact, it was lost a few pages ago. This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.