Are Calico Different?

gemma1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Friends,
I am a first time cat owner , and proud friend of my buddy, Gemma, adopted a year ago. I took her in for routine vaccinations last week and the doctor commented that "she is so calm for a calico" . The doctor told me that Calicos are different : more assertive, demanding, independent and hard to handle.
I have heard this recently from other experienced cat owners? How can this be so... Calico is a color, not a breed.
Gemma is maybe strange. Early in life, she befriended a small watermelon I had brought home from the grocery, so I just gave it to her. She slept with it for a week. We downsized to pomegranites , then to more traditional toy mice!
She does not seek water, but certainly doesn't dislike it. She has voluntarily gone into the bath on several occassions, and once into the shower ( albeit with a hasty exit) .
She has climbed the inside of the chimney twice -- hence my first post about claw trimming... And necessitating baths mentioned above!
Are Calicos different, or is this just a myth?

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you say, calico is not a pure breed, so character is not theoretically predictable, yet a calico cat's behavior is rumored to be similar to the behavior of the tortie in that these animals have more "attitude". Some pet owners affectionately refer to these behavior characteristics as "cattitude".

As Gemma is a special cat, I have livened up her pic a little. If you like the result, consider it a small welcoming present.

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some preliminary study showed that there might be some *tendency* for calicoes and torties to be more aggressive than other cats. The study didn't really have a large enough sample size to be conclusive, but even assuming that it is true, it's still more like "given 100 calicoes and 100 black cats, more of the calicoes will be somewhat aggressive", not "every calico will be aggressive". Even breed personalities are largely tendencies - although they may be very overwhelming ones, where deviations are actually uncommon.

The reason it's possible is that sometimes the same genes control seemingly unrelated functions. Something that controls a color gene might also control a hormone production gene (for example; this is just speculation as to why) that in turn affects behavior. Other strange pairings like this exist and are known.

On the anecdotal side, I've known calm calicoes. My childhood cat was a calico who was the calmest and most patient cat I have ever known. I've known a few other friends' cats who were calm friendly cuddle-cakes, and a few who were a little testy, the same as every other coat color. I haven't really known enough calicoes/torties to have any sort of overall picture in my mind. Anecdotally, calico/tortie owners often say their calis/torties are more feisty on average. It might be true, but also people believe a lot of demonstrably untrue things because old wives tales have a certain appeal to our psychology.

TLDR: The jury is still out - it's possible but not quite established that calicos tend to be feisty, but even if they DO "tend to" be feisty, meeting an unfeisty one isn't really strange. She would be a minority, not a space alien.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe calicos are a little different. I have had a few.

All of them have become jealous of my wife and developed into daddy's girl. They have all enjoyed belly stroking. They are love biters---little nips when pleased by petting sessions. Oddest trait has been backing up and butt shaking like a tom. They can be demanding. Best trait is they are affectionate and faithful. I have only had two at a time once for a few years and they did not get along very well. I had a similar experience with the one tortie I had. I have no science to back this up with, just my experience.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible that some genes that determine fur color are linked with some behavioral genes, meaning the genes are close together on a chromosome and are less likely to be separated from each other during recombination, a process during the creation of sex cells. This is why people with light hair are more likely to have blue or green eyes, because those genes are close together. But we're a ways off from being able to look at a gene and know how it influences personality, so there's no good proof for that. Calicos and torties need to have two X chromosomes to display that coloring, so most of them are female. That might have more to do with their personality than their coloring.

Also, human brains are very good at picking up patterns, even when a pattern doesn't actually exist. Plus we anthropomorphize and project a lot of emotions onto our pets, and if our brain has made associations between calicos and "attitude," we're going to interpret our calico's actions as being her "attitude" talking. It helps us bond to our pets to give them these human personalities, and usually that doesn't do any harm, but it is good to remember occasionally that they are a different species and they're going to think in ways that we don't understand sometimes.

Sorry for digressing a bit there. As others have said, cat personalities vary a lot from cat to cat regardless of breed or color. Sometimes I wonder if not being bred for specific jobs like dogs were has allowed for this incredible diversity. There are some instincts that cats have in common of course, but beyond that every cat has it's own unique set of crazy quirks. It's part of what makes being a cat owner so fun. Gemma definitely has done a good job of keeping you entertained!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there solid scientific evidence?  Probably not.  Is there anecdotal evidence?  You betcha.  And most calico and tortie owners are just a little proud of their cat's "tortitude."  The "tortie stink-eye" is famous as well.  Not familiar?  Let me enlarge and post my profile pic for you:

catajade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a beauty your baby is. I have 2 calico torties and one of them is full tortitude.  My first tortie, Venus passed away last year and she was a pit bull. She was 6 lbs of terror. I miss that girl. I adopted another tortie after she died who isn't as aggressive as Venus, but way more aggressive than my tuxedo. A few months after I adopted her, we rescued a tortie kitten who was thrown out a car window in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Her name is Sammie. I swear I didn't make the connection when I named her. She is a tortitude and a half. That little girl is into everything lol. My vet is afraid of her. We love her attitude though. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I just think it's because torties are almost always female, and female cats tend to be sassy. And if someone has a sassy female tabby they just think it's normal girl cat behavior, not due to color.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemma1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the helpful replies.
I wish there was some science to back this widely-held rumor of Calico/ Tortie "attitude" . In an XX (female) animal, or human, one of the chromosomes in each cell is suppressed and one is expressed. In an XY (male) the genetics are more fully expressed. I am a scientist by training, so I am kind of a nerd!! So, thank you to the two posters who said maybe behvioural characteristics are linked to genes that control color expression
Also thanks for saying it is maybe just female "cattitude" -- would be dismissed if a tabby. I have owned horses all of my life: mares, geldings, stallions, and there is definitely a behavioral , gender specific , difference.
Seems strange that so many people would say a coat colour determines personality?
she does back up to things and shake her tail llike a tom?? Whats up with that??

gemma1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much,
I have also the experience with "love bites" -- gentle contact with teeth that says "pet me more". No worries. I just keep petting and scratching.
Please do you know why a female cat backs up to thngs and shakes like a tom? She does this all the time.

serenitythecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She may just be unique 
I do believe that Calico's can be different...Then again, all cats have different genes. 
 By the way, she is a beautiful cat.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think calicoes are different. I had a calico and a tortie, and now a solid black. The two girls were affectionate and gentle, the black is more aggressive and stubborn.

grrr cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a white tortoiseshell, some will say she is a calico.  I love her personality but she does have tortitude. When i got her as a kitten a friend said tortoiseshells have their one human. Mine meets me at the door, follows me everywhere and is sweet and caring but hates the vet, and doesn't like other people touching her fur.

When i was moving out of a unit I boarded my cat at the vet for the day. She was so aggressive the vet tech couldn't get her out of the cage.

Mine also love bites and sometimes she tries to clean my paws (fingers)

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much,
I have also the experience with "love bites" -- gentle contact with teeth that says "pet me more". No worries. I just keep petting and scratching.
Please do you know why a female cat backs up to thngs and shakes like a tom? She does this all the time.
I also would like some input about the butt shaking. Wonder if it is related to being spayed.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This article has some really good answers! I grew up with a calico and she definitely was a spunky kitty! My dad also had one for over 15 years, and one day she was a cuddle muffin and the next she acted like she had never seen you before! It could be a coincidence, but it's still funny to think about!

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Friends,
I am a first time cat owner , and proud friend of my buddy, Gemma, adopted a year ago. I took her in for routine vaccinations last week and the doctor commented that "she is so calm for a calico" . The doctor told me that Calicos are different : more assertive, demanding, independent and hard to handle.
I have heard this recently from other experienced cat owners? How can this be so... Calico is a color, not a breed.
Gemma is maybe strange. Early in life, she befriended a small watermelon I had brought home from the grocery, so I just gave it to her. She slept with it for a week. We downsized to pomegranites , then to more traditional toy mice!
She does not seek water, but certainly doesn't dislike it. She has voluntarily gone into the bath on several occassions, and once into the shower ( albeit with a hasty exit) .
She has climbed the inside of the chimney twice -- hence my first post about claw trimming... And necessitating baths mentioned above!
Are Calicos different, or is this just a myth? 
Am I the only one who is suuuper interested in the fact that Gemma befriended a WATERMELON??? I want to see pics, that sounds SO cute.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Both male and female cats can mark territories, although it is far more prevalent in males.  That's all it is, marking territory.  It is far more likely to happen near windows and doors, where cats can see other cats outside, although just smelling them can trigger the marking in a very territoriality insecure cat.   Be willing to bet that if you checked, the outdoor cats are also marking outer walls at about the same places.

gemma1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mamanty1953,
Thanks! I love the pic. Beautiful cat, and I am becoming familiar with this expression in the eyes!

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WafflesNomNom,
Indeed it's true. Her favorite companion. LOL. Pix attached.

Omg that is hilarious and adorable. I can't believe she ate her friend!!! Maybe if you get another one and put cat ears on it and carve a little face in it she'll like it more haha.