Are any of you planning to get a flu shot this year?

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, never had one and I very rarely get sick. My friend gets one every year and come down with the flu

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to have one, I don't need it. I had flu once when I was a child and everyone had it, never since though!
agree about the 'tummy flu', never heard of that, just a tummy bug here!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had a flu shot since the early 70s. My first employer required it, and provided it. Since then I haven't bothered, and I don't remember the last time I had flu. DH on the other hand has had the shot for several years, and most of them he's been laid low for a couple of weeks with flu. Go figure!

I'm healthy, my immune system is good, I'm not in any of the risk groups, nor do I work in health care or any other fields where it's advised. I figure there are lots of people who are more likely to benefit from it than I, so I'll leave it to them.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep. Been getting it for many years. Still got "the flu" most years...or so I thought. This year I truly caught The Flu (culture confirmed). There is NO WAY I had ever been that sick before, and prior to that, I would have claimed near death flus on more than one occasion. Because of this, I will always take precautions to try and prevent such an illness! Also, I do work in healthcare, and wouldnt want to be a Typhoid Mary of sorts to everyone around me. Just because you never "get" the flu doesnt mean you cant carry it and spread it to others around you...My live in partner wont get one - needle phobia thing...I know him well enough to know that if he ever gets the flu, it will be the last year he doesnt get the shot!

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not sure I am going to. My Dr. told me it was up to me. I would REALLY like to not have the flu while being pregnant, but I also don't want to have a reaction to the shot. So I am torn. I problally wont get it because I HATE needles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I got my flu shot today.
It was quick and virtually painless
No weird side effects or anything so far, and thankfully my arm isn't too sore eithor. The one they vaccinated me with was a killed virus.

I'd definitely encourage everyone to research and consider getting it if you think it's right for you.
(I have a compromised immune system, so it's definitely safer for me to get it than to not.)

For those of you concerned about it hurting (and keep in mind I do not like shots eithor) it honestly did not hurt- promise!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I likely wont unless forced... as my compromised immune system I could get ill from the vaccine just as easy as the actual flu...

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I work in a hospital, and even though I work in L&D, any pregnant woman get seen on our floor. That includes all of them that come in with the flu.

You'd better believe I'm getting the flu shot, considering a week doesn't go by when I'm not exposed to it.