Arcturus' journal: life with a FIV+ cat

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HE JUST PLAYED!

I was on the phone sat next him on the bed and he started playing with his tail, so I gave him a catnip mouse and he started playing properly! I moved it about and then he started playing with it himself! :rbheart:
This gave me the biggest smile of my day so far [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

And yes, this is precursor to the early morning wake up play sessions [emoji]128569[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He actually slept most of the night by my legs and only woke me up because he was snoring. He knows when it's breakfast time and has started following me to the scary cupboard (the door is very noisy and he used to hide when I opened the door) and sitting by his bowl.

He was wheezing a couple of times during the night, so I'll keep an eye on that. He's drinking and peeing even more. I'm still sort of hoping that it's because the flat is SO hot at the moment (avg 19.5C without heating on) and not a sign of something awful. But I doubt it. It's not like he's peeing straight after drinking, so it's not going right through him, but maybe an hour or two after. Still no puking or vomit.

He's very insistent on having dry food, so he's still getting that, even if I'd rather he stuck to wet so his teeth have less work to do.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet told me that cats don't actually chew most of the dry food, they'll kind of roll it around and just swallow it whole. I notice when Loki eats it and throws up, (he's a scarf and barf kitty), it's whole peices.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I give Loki wet food, he throws it up everytime. He's done this since he was a kitten. He's almost 9 years old now. He's been checked over by 4 different vets and we've come to the conclusion that he's just a pig. He's also the healthiest of all my cats. Never had diarrhea, or infections, or anything. Just a tooth pulled. He's weird. I have to give him a spoonful of wet, make him wait a few minutes, then give him another spoonful so he doesn't vomit.

Last edited:

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh he does. He's a black cat. When I first got him, my husband at the time, ex now, had 2 dogs, Thor and Oden. So I figured Loki was the only name possible for a black cat that caused tons of mischief!

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Arcturus is booked for his dental clean and probable extraction on Monday. They did offer tomorrow but I'm not around in the afternoon to pick him up. Hopefully it all goes okay and the liver/kidney profile and thyroid tests come back okay.

I've been picking him up before I feed him and he's so far been alright with that, not overly pleased but as soon as he starts to move about (about 30 seconds now) he's put back down and made a fuss of. Hopefully he'll go into the carrier okay again, though I'll have to take the bus this time.

He's still not too keen on BF, he let him stroke him a few times then hid. Though he did spend some of the night sleeping against BF's leg and was happier to be stroked this morning. I'm going to get BF t leave a jumper of his here. Maybe Arc is just jealous. :lol3:

He played a bit more yesterday, with one of the toys which is supposed to help clean his teeth so that's a good habit. He's being very affectionate at the moment and shoving his tail in the way of the screen.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't decide if I love his little stretched toes or fluffy belly the most [emoji]128571[/emoji]
Happy to hear he will have his dental behind him soon!

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He actually quite likes his belly being rubbed. :D

He's been sneezing today, although only after he's been washing so perhaps he's just getting hair up his nose or something. He's still shedding a lot. Hopefully he didn't catch anything whilst we were at the vets. He's also going to be given flea and worm treatments on Monday, and the Synulox is used for URIs too I think so it might sort out the sneezing as well as the infected gums.

He's currently very happily asleep next to me, snoring away.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking Arcturus out of the shelter and giving him a new life.

I have 2 FIV+ cats. Gin Kun is a former feral and is over ten years old.

I found Happy in a car park. She was very sick when I first picked her up, but she's doing much better now. She's about 1 year old.

I'm looking forward to hearing how he settles in to his new home.
Happy has a slight snobby look!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arcturus is booked for his dental clean and probable extraction on Monday. They did offer tomorrow but I'm not around in the afternoon to pick him up. Hopefully it all goes okay and the liver/kidney profile and thyroid tests come back okay.

I've been picking him up before I feed him and he's so far been alright with that, not overly pleased but as soon as he starts to move about (about 30 seconds now) he's put back down and made a fuss of. Hopefully he'll go into the carrier okay again, though I'll have to take the bus this time.

He's still not too keen on BF, he let him stroke him a few times then hid. Though he did spend some of the night sleeping against BF's leg and was happier to be stroked this morning. I'm going to get BF t leave a jumper of his here. Maybe Arc is just jealous. :lol3:

He played a bit more yesterday, with one of the toys which is supposed to help clean his teeth so that's a good habit. He's being very affectionate at the moment and shoving his tail in the way of the screen.

Sweet little paws.