Apt complex "requires" declawing

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

The manager did seem to understand my concern. She is a cat owner too. She did mention as I might have said, that other residents of the complex who have cats are against declawing like me, so I take it that I'm not the first person who verified that this wasn't going to be an issue with her.
I would say as long as no one is requiring proof of the cat being declawed they are not going to enforce this rule unless you need work done in your appartment & they find damage done by the cats.

I consider myself lucky because I've had 3 differnt landlords over the last 10 years. They all knew about my cats & nothing has ever been mentioned about declawing. Since all of my cats are adults, I would do my best to get my vet to write a letter saying it was dangerous & inhumane to declaw. Otherwise if the landlord pushed the issue I would be forced to move out (which would be dumb on his part considering I've been a good tenant in that building for 10 years & I've always paid my rent on time.)

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I have hardwood floors and I can show you where Bijou's claws have scratched them up just by running/chasing toys. I can show you a desk that Bijou has scratched just by jumping up on it.

Some cats do scratch up walls and door frames. Walls can most certainly get damaged by claws, so can vertical blinds get damaged, so can drapes that may come with the apartment get damaged, so can wall-to-wall carpeting get damaged.
I completely agree. Cats can and will damage walls, doors, door frames, floors, cabinets, trim work, etc. if they are allowed to do so. Nothing is off limits to them.

We have had our cats peel the paper back off the drywall in the cattery. The door frames get scratched, etc.

Of course that is a cattery situation, in a home situation those actions can be re-directed by the attentive owner. However, given the opportunity cats will be destructive.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

The apartment he got has hardwood floors, unless it already comes furnished there is literally nothing that the cats can scratch up!! Are they going to scratch up the walls? Cats don't do that! And walls don't get damaged by claws.
I beg to differ. My boyfriends cat has ruined TWO doorframes from scratching them-- but with a scratching post the damage is minimized.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm just going to get them soft paws. I'm going to alternate the colors on their nails in a pattern of red, yellow, red, yellow, etc. (University of Minnesota colors - assuming that's where I go (assuming I don't get off the wait list at Vanderbilt or Duke).