approximate price of an urine culture

doublekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is at the vet and is supposed to have an urine culture done. When I called earlier to check on my cat, they said the vet had not been able to get a culture yet.

I am not sure what that meant. I was wondering if anyone has had this done before and if you know what the average vet charges for an urine culture on a cat. Also, it sounded like he could have tried to take a culture but didn't get anything, is this possible? If so, will it cost extra for each time they do it.

Its not about money because this cat means much more to me than that, but I was wanting to make sure I have the money to pay for this or if I will have to set up payments with the vet.

seppolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet probably meant that they had yet to get a urine sample to send off to a lab to be cultured. When vets say they can't get a urine sample, it usually means that a) the cat hasn't yet urinated for them or b) the cat does not have enough urine in it's bladder for the vet to take a sample of. I used to work for a vet in Oakland, CA...a urine culture there would have run about $110. But prices can vary depending on what are of the country you are in & what lab the vet uses.

Amanda