Approx 9 week old kitten with rectal prolapse, saw the vet today.

milocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have recently adopted a 6 week old kitten. I keep him in a kennel during the day. When I got home his rectum was protruding about an inch out. I put honey on it. I also put Vaseline and poked it back in and it came right back out. It won't stop playing and will not calm down as if it wants to play and climb.

I'm not sure what to do with him. If I put him in the crate, he freaks out and meows and gets more stressed.

Help! What should I do?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to TCS  @Milocat.

Did your vet just tell you to put it back in that way? There are things that can cause this that will need treatment, and the prolapse itself will cause major issues for your new little boy.  Could you take him back as soon as possible?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. He needs to see the vet about the rectal prolapse. Is he straining with his bowel movements? This could cause the prolapse.

Do you have a room, such as your bedroom, that you can kitten-proof and allow him to spend the day in rather than the kennel? A kitten needs to play and explore, which he can't do in a crate. He'll need his food, water, and litter box in the room, along with cat toys, but he'll be much happier! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have recently adopted a 6 week old kitten. I keep him in a kennel during the day. When I got home his rectum was protruding about an inch out. I put honey on it. I also put Vaseline and poked it back in and it came right back out. It won't stop playing and will not calm down as if it wants to play and climb.

I'm not sure what to do with him. If I put him in the crate, he freaks out and meows and gets more stressed.

Help! What should I do?
Kittens usually do play and climb a lot.  That is part of being a healthy kitten. So he wanna move and play, esp as he is much in this kennel.

Although,   From this we can take it he isnt severely sick.

How is his elimanations?  Such prolapses are most common with kittens whom have much constipation - and sometimes with diarreaish kittens.